Top Ten Tuesday | Books With Names/Character Names in the Title

 Hi Everyone! 

This is my second week taking part in Top Ten Tuesday! I love this week's theme but it was surprisingly hard to find books with names in the title. Quite a few of these are repeated from last week's Top Ten Tuesday post, this was accidental - it just happens that a lot of new to me authors wrote books with character names as the titles! It makes this post very similar which I don't like but it is just what I could find! I also don't love this post...it feels a bit boring and I nearly didn't post it but if someone gets something out of it then that's wonderful! Most of these are also classics because so many classics have the name of a character as the title!

As in my other Top Ten Tuesday post, all reviews of the books (some of which are in combined posts) are linked when I first mention the title.



Top Ten Tuesday is hosted weekly by That Artsy Reader. Every week there is a new top ten theme, some of which are chosen by fellow bloggers!


THESE BOOKS ARE IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!


1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

This is one of my favourite books ever. It is so special to me and fits perfectly for this theme! This is about Jane Eyre, a young orphan who is raised by her cruel Aunt and goes on to become a governess to the mysterious, brooding Mr Rochester. I've probably ranted on about the Brontes enough times before so if you want to read my rambles about Jane Eyre you can do so by clicking here!


2. Nick and Charlie by Alice Oseman

I know I talk about Alice Oseman WAY too much but this is such a comforting book that I reread a lot. It's such a special universe and one I almost constantly want to live in. 

This follows Nick and Charlie as Nick is getting ready to leave for university, leaving Charlie behind as he is a year younger. This causes tension between them and pushes their relationship to breaking point.

I go into more detail in my post about Alice Oseman's books.


3. Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris

This book is so, so important. It is hard to read at times, it is heart wrenching, it is powerful...it's so special. I read this in 2021 and it made me cry, it made me smile, it made me laugh. I think my brain just turns to mush thinking about this book and what it talks about. It also seems appropriate to include this as Holocaust Memorial Day was last week.

This is the sequel to The Tattooist Of Auschwitz, and is about what happens to Cilka after the horrors of Auschwitz as she is sent to a Russian camp for alleged collaboration with the Nazis.

You can find out more by clicking here! Be aware of trigger warnings :)


4. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

I mentioned Rebecca in my other Top Ten Tuesday post, but it couldn't be more perfect for this one too! The way that the character of Rebecca is used in this book is something I love and it's just a book I adore! This is about a young unnamed woman who meets a man a hastily marries him. They return to his home, Manderley, where the woman is to become mistress. But she can't stop thinking about her husband's previous wife, Rebecca, and what happened to her...

This book is so chilling and yet so beautiful. I still can't get over the last line!


5. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

So many classics have the name of a character in the title! I read Oliver Twist last May and really enjoyed it! I know a lot of people don't think it's Dicken's best novel by far but I love the backstreets of London atmosphere and I understood this book much more than Great Expectations, though maybe on a reread of Great Expectations I would understand it better? This book also brings me back to the beautiful month of May, when I was on holiday and reading in my garden in the sun...there's something about the physical book that reminds me of it so much! 

This is a very famous novel about orphan Oliver as he is dragged into a den of thieves. I did watch an adaptation too which I liked but the book was definitely better and made more sense!


6. Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell

I read Mary Barton for Victober 2021. I love books that really analyse the social issues of the time and how people lived, especially the setting of the factory workers' houses. Mary Barton did this very well and fulfilled all my expectations and ideas in that way, however I wasn't majorly invested in the love story and it was slightly slow and under planned in places. I think it is well worth a read if you think you would like it though. I am glad I read it but I wouldn't recommend starting with this for Elizabeth Gaskell - North and South has much better plot lines and characters.


7. Lady Susan by Jane Austen

Lady Susan is a wonderful novella about a cunning and devious anti-heroine. It is an epistolary book and follows her interactions with several people throughout a short time in her life. There isn't much to say because it is a short story but if, like me, you love Jane Austen then definitely read this one. If you are intimidated by Jane Austen then this would also be a good place to start in my opinion!


8. Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

I feel very bad for mentioning this one yet again because it is ANOTHER one that was in my other Top Ten Tuesday post. If you read that then I'm sorry that this post is so similar! It's not intentional! However, I love this book and I highly recommend it if you're in the mood for an enlightening, life-changing, enchanting read! 

If you want to read more then you can read my original review by clicking here!


9. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

This works, right? I'm not sure what it means by a book with a name in the title...name of a place? That's what I'm treating it as anyway, mainly because I can't find any other half-decent books that work for this! Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite books of ALL time. I love it so much! I've again ranted on about this enough so if you are interested in reading this then please go ahead and read my review. I LOVE THIS BOOK.


10. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

Because yes. The Bronte's save the day. I've decided to make this a Bronte rant. 

Anyway, this is a novel that is increasingly popular but still a very underrated book. I read it in the summer of 2020 and it was one of my first classics, which meant I didn't understand everything but I am definitely due for a reread and I hope that the reading I have done since will mean that I can enjoy it more. 

This is about a young woman, Agnes Grey as she goes away to become a governess.  It follows the ups and downs of being a governess in Victorian England and there is a love story as well. 



That's all for now! Wow, this post is messy and most of it is links to previous posts but I hope you like it nonetheless! Thank you so much for being here! 

> Also, YA Book Of The Month for February is announced here tomorrow at 9am!


Happy Top Ten Tuesday!


Let's chat!

Have you read any of these? What did you think? Are any of these on your current TBR?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. Rebecca, Jane Eyre, and Anne of Green Gables are favorites of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Gypsi, I love JANE EYRE and ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. REBECCA, though? Ugh! I'm not a fan.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca is slow to start and I can see other things which may mean people don't like it but I LOVE IT :)

      Delete

Post a Comment