Top Ten Tuesday | YA Books With A Character On The Cover

Hi Everyone!

I honestly couldn't think of anything else for this one so here are my top ten books with a character on the cover. Also, I'm back! For those who don't know, I went on holiday over Easter and doing TTT just wasn't going to work so I took a break from it and now I'm picking it up again!

Books with characters on the cover I have mixed feelings about. On one hand, I like the way they make you feel closer to the characters and you get a feel for the book before you start reading it. However, I also find it can ruin it and mean that you can't imagine the character for yourself. 

Several of these are favourites though so it obviously doesn't bother me too much! Feel free to browse the links I've included if any of these catch you eye for a more in depth review. 


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.


1. Heartstopper by Alice Oseman

I mean it only seemed appropriate to start with Heartstopper seeing as the Netflix show was released last Friday! I have already watched it and love it with my whole heart - it's AMAZING! These graphic novels all have Nick and Charlie on the cover so they fit my prompt for this week. They are such comfort books and I highly recommend! I've talked about them a lot on my blog and I really hope it shows how much I love these!

- All posts about Heartstopper including more detailed reviews linked here! This includes a personality test!

2. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Another book I have mentioned a lot since reading in last December. This one has the two main characters, Simon and Baz on the cover and it's a book I didn't think I would like nearly as much as I did. This is a Harry Potter style book that follows Chosen One Simon as he navigates his last school year. But when a monster threatens the magical world and his infuriating nemesis Baz doesn't even bother to show up to school, it's up to him to help. There is a part of this book that made it a trillion times better but no spoilers!

- Review linked here in case you want to read more about this fantastic book!

3. With The Fire On High by Elizabeth Acevedo

I read this earlier this year, and I knew I would love it seeing as Elizabeth Acevedo is one of my favourite YA authors. This has the main character, Emmy on the front cover surrounded by food as she loves cooking. This is a book for anyone who loves cooking and also has a great grandma-granddaughter relationship. Definitely one to have a look at if you are interested! 

- Review linked here if you are interested to hear my thoughts in more detail.

4. The Paper And Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie (x3)

Another series I have mentioned WAY too much on here but I want all of you to read it! They are my favourite YA books and I can't get enough of them! Each book in the trilogy has the main character of that book on the cover so it fits this perfectly! I like the way that the face is always partially covered so it does leave some of the freedom of imagination! This is about a book club, it approaches topics of mental health, LGBTQ+ and autism. It's a series that means so much to me, these characters are the best friends and I love the way they obsess over books and joke and just feel so real to me. I love this series so much and I really hope some of you will read it.

- All Paper and Hearts Society content linked here! (This excludes previous Top Ten Tuesday posts that mention it).

5. Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

A classic YA book and one I read for the first time last year. I read the sequel, Knife Edge too, but needed a bit of time for that one to sink in so I haven't read the third book yet. This is about Callum, a nought and Sephy, a cross who fall in love. The cover has these two characters on the front and each book had a character or two characters on the front. I am looking forward to carrying on with this series soon, and I know so many people love it.

- Review of Noughts And Crosses linked here and post that includes a review of Knife Edge linked here.

6. Loveless by Alice Oseman

Another Alice Oseman, because why not? This book follows Georgia, who is also on the cover, who goes to university expecting to have the "university experience": falling in love, going to parties, getting drunk...Only she has never fallen in love before and soon she is introduced to Sunil who runs Pride Soc. With new terms thrown at her, asexual and aromantic, she is more confused than ever. This is just such a relatable and heart-warming book and I love all of these characters so much!

- Post with review of Loveless included linked here.

7. Afterlove by Tanya Byrne

This was my YA Book Of The Month for February and has the two main characters depicted on the front. This follows Ash, who on new year's eve gets an invitation from the afterlife: to join a clan of fierce girl reapers, who bring the city's souls to their fate. But Ash can't forget her first love, Poppy and will do anything she can to see her again. I completely fell in love with this book. It's funny, it's sweet, it's entertaining and gripping and you are just right there with Ash the whole time. It's a book I hope more people will read too and if you like the sound of a fierce girl reaper, then definitely give this a look.

- Review of Afterlove linked here! Seriously love this book so much!

8. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Another fairly well-known YA book linked to Carry On mentioned above. The main character of Fangirl, Cath, writes fanfiction which Rainbow Rowell then wrote in the form of Carry On. I love Carry On more but I did still enjoy Fangirl. This follows Cath and her twin who when they go to university, have very different ideas about what they want to do. Cath is an introvert and I loved reading about her ideas and found it very relatable!

- Post about my journey reading this book linked here and post with my review included linked here!
 

9. One  by Sarah Crossan

This was my YA Book Of The Month for April, and it's a book I think is so important. This is about conjoined twins, Tippi and Grace, written from Grace's perspective in verse. It follows their experiences being conjoined twins and leaves you in tears. It made me think and I just really think that this book could really help conjoined twins to be understood. It's beautifully written too, and I'm really starting to appreciate books written in verse so much more!

- Review linked here!

10. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

This adds to the more widely known books on this list, although it's a little outdated! I liked it but didn't love it as much as other people seem to. I have the movie edition (it's just the one I found) which I don't like as much because it has a picture of Hazel and Augustus from the movie as the cover. I would rather make up my own Hazel and Gus and it is sad that I don't have the famous cloud cover! I think this is another important book and in case you don't know, it follows Hazel who has lung cancer as she meets Gus. They quickly become friends and travel to Amsterdam together. This is such a heartbreaking book and I would like to reread it soon to get a different perspective and hopefully like it more.

- Review linked here.



Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to be here and I hope you are all well. Make sure you leave a comment and link your TTT so I can check it out. Happy reading and (of course) Top Ten Tuesday! Have a great rest of your week.



Have you read any of these? Do you want to? What do you think about books written in verse? What was your topic this week? 

Link your TTT in the comments and I will definitely take a look over the next few days if  I haven't already!


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

When we left for our holiday, all the trees were bare. We come back and there are blossoms everywhere. Spring is such a magical season and I just feel so grateful for it right now <3

Comments

  1. Welcome back to TTT!

    The Fault in Our Stars was such a good read.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-curly-haired-characters-on-the-cover/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;)

      Definitely, glad you like it too! I'll check your post out!

      Delete
  2. I also love Rainbow Rowell's books and the covers are always gorgeous! Fredrick Backman is another author who usually have characters on the cover.

    Happy TTT!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbow Rowell has definitely become a favourite. I've heard a lot about Fredrick Backman but haven't read any of his books. Thanks for stopping by ;)

      Delete
  3. I don't mind when there are characters on the cover. What I do mind is when the cover has nothing to do with the book. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/04/top-ten-tuesday-couples.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is frustrating when you have a completely irrelevant cover, and you wonder why they went into the trouble of designing it. I also hate it when the characters look nothing like what they're supposed to on the cover!

      Delete
  4. Have heard alot of good things about Sarah Crossan. Thanks for the recommends!
    My post: https://pagesandpaws.com/2022/04/26/ttt-books-with-this-award-on-the-cover/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Crossan is an author I definitely want to carry on reading! You're welcome ;) I'll check out your post! Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

      Delete
  5. I'm with you. I have a love/hate relationship with people on covers. If they do have people, I prefer that they're facing away from the "camera" or in shadows so that you only have an idea of them. If a person's face is on a cover, that is how I will see the character and if it doesn't fit, then I get irritated...so, I prefer no people or people looking away.

    Happy TTT!

    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about the Paper and Hearts Society cover. The faces are partially covered by a book! Totally agree though! I like it when you just see the silhouette too. Ugh, when it doesn't fit you do have to wonder if the designers took any interest in the book at all!

      Delete
  6. I love how a character on a cover can bring a story (and cover!) to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make it more personal, but there are definitely two sides to the argument. When done well, they can be very effective though!

      Delete
  7. I like to see characters on covers as I get an idea of what the character should look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see that! It just frustrates me because I like to be able to imagine it for myself.

      Delete
  8. Great picks, Zoe! I have so much love for Heartstopper. Not only are Nick and Charlie too precious for words, I love seeing their faces on the covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick and Charlie have my heart <3 Tara and Darcy probably just top them though! I love the covers of heartstopper too! Thank you so much to taking the time to stop by!

      Delete
  9. Noughts and Crosses was one of my formative YA books, I think I was about 11 or 12 when I first read it, and I've read it several times since then, I never fail to get crushed by the ending even after I knew what was coming! I hope you enjoy the rest of the books in the series. I wasn't such a fan of The Fault In Our Stars, I think John Green's just maybe not for me, I found Hazel and Gus kind of pretentious and just didn't really enjoy the story all that much.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/04/26/top-ten-tuesday-365/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a hard hitting book! So many people love the fault in our stars but so many also really dislike it, I love hearing different people's opinions! I'm very busy with school at the moment but I'll check out your TTT soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment