Cilka's Journey By Heather Morris- the sequel to The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Hi Everyone!

I recently read Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris and loved it! It is the sequel to The Tattooist of Auschwitz which I also loved and reviewed (click here). I was really excited when I found the sequel as I had no idea it existed! 

Cilka's Journey is an empowering tale about survival, even in the most unlikely situations. Cilka is one of the side characters of The Tattooist of Auschwitz. Cilka's Journey is written from her perspective after she leaves Auschwitz and is charged for collaborating with the Nazis and sent to a Russian camp. She is innocent but imprisoned once again and has to endure similar conditions of life. Her sentence is 15 years and the book follows a lot of them. 

Cilka is used to the way of life in a camp and passes her experience of stashing away food and other tricks she has learnt, helping the women she shares a hut with. One of them in particular, Josie, becomes especially close to Cilka. Soon, she manages to get a less physical job at the camp hospital. There she meets more friends and fights to the very end.

This is such a hard book to read emotionally, I actually didn't know much about the Russian camps so this was a very interesting book to read historically. I love reading war-time historical fiction and Heather Morris writes in a great way that makes me want to cry.

Comparing this to The Tattooist Of Auschwitz, I found it more relatable, maybe because it is written from the perspective of a woman and also I think enjoyed it more which I didn't think was possible! I loved this so much and can't wait for a re-read at some point.

I highly recommend this book if you are interested in war-time historical fiction but definately try to read the Tattooist Of Auschwitz first as some references will make more sense, and it's an incredible book. You don't have to though, it will probably make sense on its own too.

Thank you so much for reading this and I will be back soon with more book recommendations!




Comments