Top Ten Tuesday | Books Too Good To Review Properly

Hi Everyone!

This week's Top Ten Tuesday theme is Books Too Good To Review Properly. I like this theme and I can't wait to use this as an opportunity to go on about my favourite books (again)! I do still feel like every Top Ten Tuesday post features similar books but I always want to choose books that fit the theme perfectly and they just seem to be the same! Also, I've decided not to link the posts for each book this week, mainly because I'M TIRED and it takes ages but also because I'm not convinced anyone actually clicks on them...If you do want to read my review for anything then let me know in the comments and I can link it or use the 'YA Reviews' tab to get all my YA Reviews. Alternatively you can also search it using the search function, although this may come up with a lot of other unwanted posts that happen to mention the book in question! ANYWAY, let's get into the books!




Top Ten Tuesday is hosted weekly by That Artsy Reader Girl. Every week there is a new top ten theme, some of which are chosen by fellow bloggers!


1. The Paper and Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie

I love this book. It's too good to even think about properly. It means so much to me and I have a bunch of posts about it that are more detailed, although I don't like my original review for it, I wrote it ages ago so maybe I should rewrite it sometime? I don't know what I could write that hasn't already been said though...I LOVE THIS BOOK SO FREAKING MUCH. This book is full of so much that I love: books, friendships, mental health representation and of course Ed's cat and Shakespeare jokes that never fail to make me laugh, even though I've reread them so many times! Whenever I read this book, even if I'm having a rubbish day, I laugh and cry and smile pretty much the whole way through. I could read this book on repeat pretty much forever.

2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

The Brontes are some of my favourite authors EVER. I read this back in November for the first time and fell absolutely in love with it! It is quite confusing but there is this whole atmosphere and feeling that runs through it that a part of me is repulsed and chilled by and the other part of me is obsessed with! I imagine my Wuthering Heights perfectly and it's like this place in my head that I can return to time and time again! The isolated, bleak moors and the cold, windy landscape just bring me this sense of overwhelming peace and joy for some reason! I find it very difficult to convey my feelings for this book but if you've read it you probably understand what I mean! I wrote a fairly detailed review for this one so I encourage you to read that!

3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

This is another favourite. It was a real journey to read this book and so worth it because it became such an important book to me. There is so much to love about Jane Eyre, both in Jane herself and the stories of the people that surround her. She's so strong and yet vulnerable and the whole romance, the secrets that threaten it and everything that happens...it's such a masterpiece and I LOVE IT! There are a ton of quotes I love from this too, just like in Wuthering Heights. It's a very comforting book too, especially the beginning and ending!

4. A Welsh Witch by Allen Raine

This book deserves so much more love! It is very underrated but this was such a fantastic read with so much to love! This is about a Welch village in the late 1800s.  It's  everything I love in a Victorian book: it's got great social commentary on different communities and lifestyles, it's got a wonderful love story, beautiful descriptions, memorable characters, high emotions and the list just goes on! It is just AMAZING and what I got out of it was priceless. I could apply some of the situations the characters get into to my own problems and that is another thing I love in a good classic: being able to relate to it, even if it was written over 100 years ago! Basically, pick this up!

5. Heartstopper by Alice Oseman

Every time I think about this book I just want to SCREAM (in a good way). It's my ultimate comfort series and I don't think words can convey how much I want everyone to read this! It is a book full of friendship, love, acceptance, diversity...it's so full of joy! It makes you believe in true love, in true friends and most importantly in yourself. It puts a massive smile on my face every time I reread it (which is A LOT) and I am SO EXCITED for the TV show to come out on Netflix!!! If any of you are too then please let me know, I would love to chat about it!

6. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

This was my last book of 2021 and instantly became a favourite. It's hard to review because there is something I love in this book but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it so I can't truly gush about it! It is amazing though and as someone who doesn't read much fantasy (but would like to read more) this was surprising! It is a wizard school book, very much like Harry Potter but in my opinion better! It's so gripping and there aren't too many fighting scenes which I appreciated because they are often the scenes I don't love! I read this book very quickly and I can't contain my excitement to read the rest of the Simon Snow books!

7. Afterlove by Tanya Byrne

This is, again, something I wasn't sure if I'd like but WOW I did. It is my YA Book Of The Month for February and for good reason! It is one of those books that I just want to squeal about ALL  THE TIME. To illustrate my point, a friend told me that she had bought a book called Afterlove and it took me a moment to register that she meant THIS BOOK and I ranted on at her about how she needed to read it and how it was amazing and I was so happy she'd bought it. There was another friend who bought Afterlove partially on my recommendation and I immediately liked her Goodreads update when she started reading it and commented 'YAY'. I was just happy to see the Afterlove joy shared <3. 

8. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I mean how can one review this book properly? It is one of the most well-loved books ever written in the English language and quite rightly! I do love this book very much, although it was knocked off the top spot by Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and A Welch Witch! It's hard to write a review for it because most people know what it's about and who ends up together and there is a certain expectation of what your thoughts should be. My review certainly wasn't very imaginative! I wrote about how I loved Elizabeth and thought Mr. Darcy was very interesting, which I don't think I could change that much about now but as a reviewer, having so much content already formed to influence opinions makes it hard to have my own!

9. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

This book is mainly hard to review because of spoilers. I love this book with my whole heart but it has one of those endings that I would hate to spoil for anyone. I can still say what effect it had on me and everything like that but in an ideal world I would also share my thoughts on the build up to this and how the author has used language to express the ending. I would talk about the significence of the unnamed narrator too but I'm too scared of someone reading it and thinking 'damn now i can't read it- i know what happens. I was looking forward to finding that out.' That's literally my worst nightmare! So this book is too good to review simply because I want to let others discover its goodness for themselves!

10. As Good As Dead by Holly Jackson

I feel as if recently I've mentioned this series a lot for some reason but it is a favourite of mine! It is a murder mystery series and this is the last book in the trilogy. It is very spoilery again so reviewing it was hard! Even the synopsis has to remain fairly vague! The way that my blog is formatted is that if you are on the desktop version, you have to scroll through so many other posts to find one you want to read, by which point you've probably lost interest! I don't think I can change this as I have a blogspot blog but it means I can't write spoiler reviews because people could see as they scrolling! This is frustrating because a spoiler review is definitely what this needs! I read a great one actually from a blog I love called Frappes and Fiction so if you've read As Good As Dead, I recommend reading it if you haven't already by clicking here! This book is amazing though, I loved it when I read it in September and highly recommend if you've read the other books!



Thank you for joining me in another Top Ten Tuesday and I would love to read your posts so please link them below! Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

Let's chat!

Are there any of these you want to read? Any you think are too good to review properly as well? Remember, if you want to read my review or other posts for each book then comment and I can get back to you! 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. Nice list! Welsh Witch sounds good. Here's my list: https://speedyreadercom.wordpress.com/2022/02/15/ttt-books-with-names-in-the-title/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely recommend A Welsh Witch!

      Delete
  2. I am wanting to read Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice again, I can't remember what I thought of them. Here's my post if you'd like to stop by: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/02/top-ten-tuesday-wow-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a look at your post, and I always seem to forget what I've read, unless it's a favourite!

      Delete
  3. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan but I've always struggled with the Brontes. Classics are so difficult to review properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! They do have more complex characters and plots though!

      Delete
  4. Same! I feel like I talk about the same books every week, over and over and over. It's tough to think up new ones for every prompt.

    I also feel you on trying to review classics like JANE EYRE and P&P. It just seems like everything that can possibly been said about them already has been said and I don't have anything new to add to the conversation.

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one (on both counts!)...reviewing classics is hard but I still love it, although yes, my reviews are probably very similar to a hundred others!

      Delete
  5. Jane Eyre is one I can't seem to review either. Happy reading. My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/books-too-good-to-review-properly/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's so hard! Happy reading to you too!

      Delete
  6. Classics are almost impossible for me to review. I just picked up a copy of Heartstopper, so I'm excited to read it soon. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the best way to review classics is just recommend them and talk about how great the characters are, that's what I seem to do anyway! Hope you love Heartstopper, it's my biggest comfort <3

      Delete

Post a Comment