Classic Book Review: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens //my second dickens novel

 Hi Everyone,

You may know I read Great Expectations at the end of 2020 and beginning of 2021. Although I liked it, I found it hard going and didn't understand it all by a long way! But I recently finished Oliver Twist and LOVED IT! 

The reason I read this was the Dickens Vs Tolstoy Debate. This is a book club on booktube hosted by two of my favourite booktubers Carolyn and Emma from their channels CarolynMarieReads and *e m m i e*. Each month (or two for longer books) they read either a Dickens or Tolstoy book and then debate it at the end of the month. I hadn't taken part in any of the others because I don't think I can read Tolstoy yet! But seeing as I had Oliver Twist on my shelves I thought I would give it a go. 

Oliver Twist is Dickens' second novel but the first one that wasn't originally serialised. The writing wasn't as polished as Great Expectations but I prefer the story. I watched the adaptation in January and enjoyed it but couldn't remember the details and the book obviously has more backstories.

I read some of it outside in the sunshine🌞🌻


I love the atmosphere of it: the criminals in their dark den, the Artful Dodger and Fagin...I love the backstreets of London atmosphere and the whole story warmed my heart (and promptly broke it!). 

If you don't know, this is about orphan Oliver who gets swept into a den of thieves, learns their ways, makes honest friends and uncovers secrets about his past along the way.

I think it is a beautiful perspective on Victorian life because many novels only have a part written in the poorer lifestyle and others don't have any and this is solely focused on Oliver and the people who surround him who, bar a few, are all poor. 

I think the reading I've done between Great Expectations and Oliver Twist also means I understood it more and I think there was very little I didn't get or didn't follow, whereas there were several passages in Great Expectations that lost me! I really enjoyed my time with this book and can't wait for more Dickens, maybe in the form of more Dickens Vs Tolstoy???

Thank you all so much and I'll be back soon!

Comments