TOP TEN TUESDAY | new to me authors I discovered in 2021

 Hi Everyone!

Tuesday isn't one of my current posting days but I really wanted to take part in Top Ten Tuesday! If I do decide to make this long-term, Tuesday will only be for Top Ten Tuesday. This is a very last minute post (I forgot to check the theme whoops!) but I hope it will be enjoyable nonetheless! I won't be doing this every week, but we'll have to see!

All reviews for the books are linked when I mention them so if you want to hear my thoughts in more detail with synopsis etc then definitely give them a look! The only exception is Alice Oseman because I don't mention all of her books and they are nearly all in a combined post.




Top Ten Tuesday is hosted weekly by That Artsy Reader. Every week there is a new top ten theme, some of which are chosen by fellow bloggers!


1. Alice Oseman

2021 was definitely a year of Alice Oseman for me! I got rather obsessed with Heartstopper and all her books too! I had already read Loveless at the end of 2020, but I reread it in 2021 so technically she wasn't new to 2021, but I still very much discovered her talent and grew to love her last year. She very quickly became a favourite author and I now check her twitter for updates religiously! 

Link to post about Solitaire, Radio Silence, I Was Born For This, Heartstopper Volume 1, Heartstopper Volume 2, Nick and Charlie

Link to post about Heartstopper Volume 3

Link to post about Heartstopper Volume 4

>Link to Hearstopper Personality Test!!!


2. Jane Austen

I was very excited to read Jane Austen last year and it happened! I read Pride and PrejudiceSense and Sensibility AND Sanditon which was something I wasn't expecting at all! I loved all of them, but Pride and Prejudice came out on top. 2021 was also in many ways the year of Jane Austen, especially since I visited the Jane Austen Center in Bath over the summer and got to learn even more about her!


3. Charlotte Bronte

I read Jane Eyre in April last year and it became my favourite book of all time, however, it ended up being joint with Wuthering Heights and A Welsh Witch. I also discovered the Brontes in 2021 and they are now my favourite classic authors! I love them to bits, and I can't stop rereading their work and leaning more and more about their lives. I find them so fascinating. The reason Emily Bronte isn't in this post is because I had already read her poetry in 2020.


4. Allen Raine

WOW. I read A Welsh Witch for Victober and it became a new all time favourite! Allen Raine is so forgotten and A Welsh Witch is a work of true genius. Her writing is very up to date, compared to other authors of her time. I highly recommend!


5. Yasmin Rahman

I read both All The Things We Never Said and This Is My Truth last year and loved them both. I often find myself thinking about the characters in All The Things We Never Said, I grew so attached to them! These were both wonderful reads and I just NEED another Yasmin Rahman book now!


6.Rainbow Rowell

After reading Fangirl (click here for rest of review) over the summer, I really liked it but I wasn't sure if I would enjoy any of Rainbow Rowell's other books. I bought Carry On on a whim and I am so glad I did! It was my last book of 2021 and I LOVED IT! It bought me so much comfort and joy and I can't describe how much this books means to me now and I am in desperate need of the sequel!


7. Elizabeth Acevedo

Yet another author I read and adored in 2021 was Elizabeth Acevedo. I read Clap When You Land as part of Carnegie and then read The Poet X in November. I grew to love her writing so much and I am very glad that unlike some of the authors above, I do own her other book, With The Fire On High and I'm very eager to read it!


8. Tanya Byrne

Reading Afterlove towards the end of the year was such an unexpected joy. It was a book I really needed and I left it very much on a cliff hanger in my end of year wrap up so I think I will again leave it pretty mysterious...I do have plans for this book though - not much longer now!


9. Daphne DuMaurier

I read Rebecca as part of the 1900-1950 Readathon in May and (as I expected) I loved it! It is one of those books that you just have to read for yourself and I'm so happy I got to it! I also read My Cousin Rachel as my last book of the summer holiday and although I really liked it, (again as expected) it didn't quite top Rebecca!


10. L.M. Montgomery

Anne Of Green Gables was such a wonderful read and I can't wait to read the rest of the series and other books by her. This was such an important read that put everything into perspective. I am trying to convince my family to watch the Netflix show Anne With An E with me now! I've heard so much about it and when I do watch it I will probably mention it on here!


All the books mentioned in this post. Was this stack ridiculous? Yes. Why did I choose to do it this way and be so unprofessional? I have no idea but I was craving a big stack of books. Cut me some slack please.


Looking back at all of this, I read so many books by new to me authors! I had heard about some of them before so in that way they are not new to me, but I read my first of their books last year. Now I guess I'm just worried that 2022 won't top it because I've already discovered so many new authors recently! 

If you have any recommendations, please leave them in the comments! 


Happy Reading!📚


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. Nice list! I've read at least one book by about half of these authors. I love P&P and ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, especially. I'm so glad you found all these authors this year.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2021 was honestly such a great reading year for me! Thank you!!!

      Delete
  2. I read Sense and Sensibility recently by Jane Austin and didn't love it, but plan to try more of hers this year. I love the Anne of Green Gables books. Maybe I should go back and reread them :) https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/top-ten-tuesday-helpbookish-questions.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely went on a journey with Sense and Sensibility, but I can see why people don't love it as much! I'm just obsessed with anything that gives me regency vibes! I've looked at your blog too, great post!

      Delete
    2. I plan to read more of Jane Austin this year and hope to reread Jane Eyre as I don't remember much about it. I remember loving it but it's been so long since I read it.

      Delete
    3. There are so many books I want to reread! Especially classics which I read earlier on in my classics journey and now I would understand more...Even Jane Eyre (though when is anyone not willing to read one of their favourite books?)

      Delete
  3. You've just reminded me to pre-order the US edition of Loveless! If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend looking for it because it's STUNNING (I'm using Blackwells!)

    - Vee @ https://veebookishbooks.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YES. It's stunning! I definitely need to order it!

      Delete

Post a Comment