YA Review: All The Things We Never Said by Yasmin Rahman

 Hi Everyone!

Today I want to tell you about a truly heart-breaking and subtly beautiful book about the power of friendship. Lucy Powrie (her again!) is friends with the author and that's how I heard about All The Things We Never Said and when I was in Waterstones I looked for it and was so happy when I found it! 

All The Things We Never Said is written from three different perspectives- Mehreen, Cara and Olivia. Olivia's chapters are formatted in a really creative way and that made the reading experience really unique. Mehreen is Muslim and thinks that her parents aren't paying attention to her. She has mental health struggles, her 'Chaos' and eventually in a desperate moment signs up to a website. Cara has had a rough year since she has been in a wheel chair and blames herself for what happened. Olivia is living with a secret that is slowly and silently breaking her until she can't bear it anymore. The girls are paired together by the website- a suicide website.

But when the girls meet they realise they have more in common than they thought and soon they all want out of the pact they made upon signing up. But in a sinister turn, the website won't let them stop and pushes their new-found stability and friendship to breaking point. 

This had a real impact and I had a tear in my eye as I read the last few chapters in particular. There are a lot of trigger warnings but if you feel comfortable with these serious topics then definitely give it a go. It is one of the best books I have read so far this year because I love the characters and how this book really illustrates how important friends - and real friends - are for our mental and physical health. They have such a supportive relationship and I just love that. 

It's a book about three teenagers who feel like they don't fit in and who need each other more than anyone. They each have a secret. One they don't want to admit. 

This book has impacted me so much and was a wonderfully diverse read. Please, please, please pick it up if you think you would enjoy it! 

Happy reading!


Comments