Classic Book Review: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

 Hi Everyone! 

If you've been following my summer holiday posts then you will know that I finished Sense and Sensibility! It was such a great read and this is my review! 

Sense and Sensibility rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


My Goodreads Review: 

This book has been a wonderful journey, right into my second Austen novel! I found myself warming to the characters so much and getting very upset when things went wrong for them! I found myself tearing up a lot and giggling a lot too! An emotional read and well worth the time! It was the first book I've properly annotated too which is so exciting! I want to share a few quotes now to share some of Austen's brilliance!

"Oh, happy house, could you know what I suffer in now viewing you from this spot, and from whence perhaps I may view you no more!- And you, ye well known trees! - but you will remain the same. No leaf will decay because we are removed, nor any branch become motionless although we can observe you no longer! No; you will continue the same; unconscious of the pleasure or the regret you occasion, and insensible of any change in those who walk under your shade!"

"I did not then know what it was to love"

There are so many more I could share but wow! What a read, what a journey!


This is about sisters Elinor and Marianne who both struggle with finding love in a society where money and status influence their choices. Elinor conceals her sorrow, while Marianne gets carried away with her own romance. 

As characters, I love them both. But my personal preference has to be Elinor. She always does what is best for others and thinks everything through carefully. She stands her ground and keeps her emotions in check. Marianne is quite different! Her views are a lot more selfish and oblivious than her sister's and she is more confident and forwards. She shows her emotions much more freely too which can work both ways! They both have some significant character development by the end and undergo changes for the better, which I won't spoil but which were so heart-warming!

I really liked some of the descriptions in this book, there weren't a lot but the ones that were there were just perfection! This quote is one of my favourites!

"Before the housemaid had lit their fire the next day, or the sun gained any power over a cold gloomy morning in January..."

As for the story, it made me so emotional at times and also very happy only a few pages later! The ending was so unexpected and to be honest shocked me! There were so many ups and downs in the storyline which was also made for an engaging read. 

The day or two that I wasn't loving it as much was I think just because it was getting a little repetitive and as I'd been reading it for two weeks I was starting to want to change it up a bit. It did take me just over 2 weeks to read it as I was annotating and taking my time to enjoy the language, character development and plot twists!  

Overall, I really enjoyed this and it was so nice to read another Jane Austen! I also love that my experience reading it has been tracked in my Week In Books posts which is really special!

Thank you for reading this and I'll be back soon!



Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments