YA Book Review: The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

 Hi Everyone!

With Victober and reading for an exciting project that I've hinted about before, it's been a few weeks since I've posted a book review! So today I thought I would write about The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo.

This cover is just gorgeous!


I read one of her other novels Clap When You Land back in June for the Carnegie reading challenge which I took part in at school. I really enjoyed it and I've been on the lookout for more of her books ever since. I recently found The Poet X in Waterstones and I actually finished it this morning!

Like Clap When You Land, The Poet X is written in poems but in such a way that it doesn't impair the reading experience or make you feel distanced from the characters, if anything it makes you feel closer to them! This also has such an important voice and reminds me of another Carnegie book, Run Rebel. 

This is about Xiomara who lives in a very religious household. But she has a secret: a notebook full of poetry she writes. And that's not the only secret, especially when she falls for a boy in her bio class... Soon she is invited to join a Slam Poetry club at her school, but the lies build up and she finds herself trapped.


Xiomara's voice is just amazing. She is powerful, brave, and once given the tools to express herself, refuses to stay silent. She so often feels unwanted and lesser than her twin brother who goes to 'Genius School' and finds comfort in writing poetry and performing it. I love this idea and the poems are just beautiful!

I think this is a book that will stay with me a long time and I definitely recommend it! It was very quick to read for me as there is so little on some of the pages because it is poetry. It impacted me a lot and it left me with a tear in my eye and a smile on my face- a sure sign of a truly wonderful read.


Thank you SO much for your continuing support and happy reading!


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. Hi Zoë! Thanks a lot for this review! I didn't know this author, and now I want to read this book :) Well done for your blog, it is such a pleasure to read your posts. Please carry on reading and writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support! Elizabeth Acevedo has quickly become one of my favourite YA authors!

      Delete

Post a Comment