My Week In Books πŸ“š //summer diaries week 6: cosy autumn vibes πŸ‚, a few random comfort reads and my second Daphne Du Maurier novel

 Hi Everyone!

This will probably be my last summer week in books post for 2021 at least, which is so sad but I've loved being able to track what I'm reading and doing! I haven't read as much as I maybe wanted to this summer but what I have read has been amazing and so far all five stars! I'll be going back to a fairly regular schedule again now so a few posts a week, but I have got school so I have to get back into the routine and I'll probably have other things to do! 

Monday 30th August

I'm home again now, we came back yesterday from France and it's a grey morning, very autumnal feeling, so I'm being cosy and writing in my new Jane Austen Journal I made a little while ago! I made a collage of Jane Austen portraits to go on the front of an old and very ugly notebook and then I'm using it to track when I read her novels and what I think as well as lots of other random Jane Austen related stuff! I also read some of the BrontΓ«'s works this morning from both my Oxford World's Classics edition of their juvenilia and my new French one I bought last week. I loved reading the beginning of Anne and Emily's diary papers especially and I learnt a lot from them; they are fascinating! 

Yesterday, I read some of the French BrontΓ« book I got (see last week's post) and so far I really like the accounts of the sisters by Ellen Nussey who was Charlotte's friend and I think it's so special to have that.

I think I'm going to read a bit more of them now with a relaxing Youtube video I found which is Olivia Rodrigo songs but without her singing and with the piano part only. It's beautiful so I'm going to put it on whilst I read. 

You can find it here!

I've just finished their diary papers and I just love them so, so much! I love how personal and intimate they are, they offer such a priceless glimpse into their lives!



Tuesday 31st August

Last night I started My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier ! I was lent it by my grandma so it's an old edition but I actually really like the browned pages! I'm on page 56 and I'm really liking it. 

If you don't know, it's about orphan Phillip who is cared for by his cousin Ambrose. But Ambrose goes away to Italy and meets one of their cousins, Rachel. It's a tale of mystery and from what I can tell so far, people who aren't all they seem...

I loved Rebecca when I read it in May (post linked here) So I'm excited to see what else Daphne du Maurier has in store for me!

I have another quiet day at home and it's another grey morning that makes me believe autumn is well and truly on the way...🍁 I've just read more of My Cousin Rachel so I'm now on page 92 and I've got so many questions and I love the whole atmosphere and wow, this book is just amazing so far! 

Wednesday 1st September

Of course September screams school to most people but I still actually have 10 days before I go back! I'm making the most of the holidays by lying in and...reading! I never sleep much past 7 and then read until breakfast at half 8 or 9! This morning I read more of My Cousin Rachel and got to page 150 so nearly halfway as there are 350 pages in total. I then wanted something lighter and turned to Nick and Charlie by Alice Oseman- one of my favourite books. I read the whole thing (it's very short) and of course loved it! Nick and Charlie are just THE BEST! They mean so much to me and it's always such a comfort to be back in their world...

My Cousin Rachel I'm loving too. It is similar to Rebecca in a few senses too such as the fact that there is a lot we don't know about the wife and I think they're both books with a very creepy feel and a feeling that there is a lot more going on underneath the surface...

As to what I'm doing today, I've got a lot on here that I want to write for a post that may come out today or tomorrow and then I've also got a lot I want to write for my other blog that I have with two of my friends (click here to view it). 

 Thursday 2nd September

Today my sister decided she wanted a no screen day! So I didn't turn on my phone and I'm writing this on Friday! I had LOTS of time to read and not only made a lot of progress through My Cousin Rachel but I also reread my favourite passages from Read With Pride, the second Paper and Hearts Society book. If you don't know, The Paper And Hearts Society is a series that means so much to me and it's one of my favourite books of all time and the books that mean the most to me in the world. Being with these characters was the best thing ever and just PLEASE READ THIS SERIES! You can see all my Paper and Hearts Society related content here. They are just my best friends! It was THE BEST experience to be with them again! ♥

Friday 3rd September

This morning I reached page 246 of My Cousin Rachel. I'm just finding it a bit repetitive and slightly slow now because the same thing has kind of been happening for the last 100 pages which is fine because normal life at this time is fascinating to me, but I would like more to happen plot wise right now. Today I'm writing blog posts (including one I'm SO excited about!) and doing some fun bookish research! 

I was looking at Yasmin Rahman's twitter page and I found this...I wish my school had these!

Heartstopper! 


Saturday 4th September 

This morning I finished My Cousin Rachel and it was a little predictable but there was one thing I wasn't expecting at all! It was very similar to Rebecca in a few ways as well but I think I still prefer Rebecca and that's why I'm rating this 4.5 stars, even if it was amazing! It has the same creepy feel as Rebecca which was just done to perfection! I'm now really looking forward to more Daphne Du Maurier! I think this was the perfect book to read now too and I'm so glad I managed to get to it!

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐✨

Today we went for a walk and I found a used book stall and a used book shop! At the stall, I got The Nether World by George Gissing which I have no idea when I'll read but one day! It is in the old Oxford world's classics edition which I love! The used book shop had a TON of the folio society editions which I would love but none of the ones I have read or none of my favourite books! If they had Jane Eyre or something then I would definitely have bought it! But I did find the other Agatha Christie Collection book, which I got at the beginning of the summer. It's actually the first entry for my summer diaries! So now we're back where we started with another Agatha Christie Collection! They look so nice together and I love how they match! 




I started this week feeling the cosy and Autumnal and now we're on the brink of a mini heatwave! The weather is supposed to get warmer in the next few days which although is nice I was looking forward to Autumn! Hopefully I'll get some time to read in the sunshine! 

***

So there you have it: my summer holiday! I've got another week really as I only start school next Friday but I've got other blog posts I want to do so this is the end of my summer diaries! It's been really fun to document my reading in this way and I think it is something I would like to do again! 

I hope you've liked seeing everything I get up to, bookish and non-bookish! I've had some great reads this summer and I've got a few more in store for the next week, which I'm sure you'll hear about! I'm now making the most of reading as much as possible before school starts! 

I've got several exciting posts coming, especially one that comes out on Wednesday so look out for that! 

Thank you so much for joining me on my summer adventures and happy reading! 


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments