Best Books Of 2022 So Far || 5 new favourites

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to a very overdue chat about the best books of 2022 so far. I don't want to bore you, so instead of 10 like last year I will be talking about only 5. These are all incredible and I really want to convince you to read them! 

I am also very late because of hiatus, but better late than never! 

I am currently writing this from France too! I am spending five weeks here, which I explain more about in my summer plans post.



Firstly, because I just can't choose between all the fantastic books I've read this year so far, here are 3 honourable mentions....

- Tsunami Girl by Julian Sedgwick
- Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie
- You've Reached Sam by Dustin Thao


5. Maman, What Are We Called Now? by Jaqueline Mensil Amar

This was such a sad but very cosy read, that I really enjoyed. I have a whole post about it in the form of "Book Diaries" which you can view here! If you are interested in WW2, specifically the experience of a Jewish person during the French occupation, then definitely give this one a go! My post goes into more detail, and in real time as to when I was reading it and how my thoughts progressed. This book was also a gift from a family friend who was in Bath and popped into the Persephone Bookshop. It truly is such a wonderful shop and company and I highly recommend checking them out! 

4. Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne

I think I'll always remember finishing this book on the beach in Leketio whilst on holiday. I read this throughout the first week or so of my Spanish holiday at Easter and it was just a book I could get lost in. It also started a bit of a Holly Bourne obsession, and I have since read Are We All Lemmings And Snowflakes? and I have the next book in this series ready for me at home. This follows Evie, who has OCD as she goes through the recovery process and starts to live what she perceives as a "normal" life. This was a book I'd heard a lot about and was excited to read. I didn't think it would affect me as much as it did, but there were tears! This book has such a strong feminist voice and the friendships and of course themes of mental health are so important and something I really enjoyed reading about. I include thoughts about it here and a more formal review here!

3. Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell

Wow this was amazing! Review coming out next week so I don't want to say too much now but this was fantastic! It is the sequel to Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, and the second book in a trilogy. Look out for my review - I can't wait to share it with you all!

2. A Room With A View by E.M. Forster

I also have a "Book Diaries" post for this book, which you can read here. This was the perfect spring read that made me feel so summery! This book made me feel so many emotions and also bought me on a beautiful journey, all whilst making me want to travel and look forward to spring. . I felt like I had traveled to Italy with the characters, and could visualise so many of the scenes. Definitely read this one in Spring if you can, I did and it made me very happy! Also such an interesting time to have a book set - highly recommend if you haven't already read it! 

1. If This Gets Out by Cale Dietrich and Sophie Gonzales

This was a book I read while on hiatus, so I haven't talked about it yet on here, but WOW! This was such an incredible read. It reminds me a bit of I Was Born For This by Alice Oseman, which is also centered around a boyband. 

This follows Ruben and Zach, two parts of one of the biggest boybands in the world. Ruben is gay, and the management know, as do his bandmates. But not the public. Never the public. But this pressure to stay in the closet is starting to take it's toll on Ruben.

Throughout a tour of Europe, Ruben and Zach grow closer and their friendship eventually evolves into a romance. But Ruben and Zach soon realise that their management never really supported them and they will need each other more than ever, when it feels like their entire world is falling to pieces. 

I love how we get to see the behind the scenes of fame and being in a band, which is something I am interested in and wrote a post about here. I also love the characters and the way that it all comes together. I absolutely loved this book, and had been anticipating it for a while and it definitely didn't disappoint! 

This was one of those books that I just wanted to live in all the time and I definitely could have binge read the whole thing if I'd had the time! This was incredible and I highly, highly recommend! 


Around The Blogosphere: 

- Drizzle & Hurricane Books - The Best Books We Read in 2022 (for now)

I have tried (and failed) to find more of these posts, as most of them were written a month or so ago and I have to go back through to old posts, so if you have written a post like this then link it below and I will add it. Equally, if you have read a post similar to this then link it too and I will add it - I always love finding new blogs ;)


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post and I hope you are having a great summer. I am working at the sailing club and have just finished my first week. It went really well, but I'm very tired and looking forward to a good night's sleep! 

Happy Reading!



What have been your favourite books of the year so far? Any good recommendations?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I cycle to work every morning and it's got stunning views of the sea and estuary. I have appreciated it every day this week but today it was even more beautiful than usual!! I also made a friend and we cycled home together, which was lovely.

Comments

  1. Thanks for your recommendations! I’ll probably read one or two books you have recommended… Have a nice day and thank you again for your interesting posts!
    Élise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do end up reading any of them - I would love to know your thoughts! You're welcome, I'm so glad you enjoy my posts ;)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful recommendations, Zoë. If This Gets Out sounds very good and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ;) Yes it is a great read and so interesting! Thank you for always taking the time to stop by!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this post, I’ll definitely read some of these books. Have a great summer ! Anne-Laure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I would love to hear your thoughts on any of these books if you do read them! I hope you have a lovely summer too!

      Delete
  4. I guess you don't think of the 'Wayward Son' series (I don't recall the name of the series), is too much of a Harry Potter fan fiction? I suppose Rainbow Rowell's books aren't for me so I kind of maybe am a little prejudices of her books but I do find them a bit boring.

    I've read 'A room with a view' but totally forgotten everything about but I did remember seeing the movie and all I can remember is the scene with naked men running. Perhaps I should stop watching movie adaptions. I actually did like the book so perhaps I might get myself a copy and re-read it.

    I can't imagine cycling to work every morning but it sounds wonderful.

    I don't seem to have any favorites yet. But I'll keep reading and looking.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the version in Fangirl was more Harry Potter like than the book itself for me, and I didn't love those chapters of Fangirl, but I really adored Carry On. To me, it is quite different to Hogwarts. Yes, it is about a magical school and 'chosen one' but to me that is where the similarities end.

      I haven't watched any A Room With a View adaptations, however I don't recall this at all in the book!!

      Hope you have a good second half of the year reading!!

      Delete
  5. I recently read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, and loved it! I was never really a Harry Potter/similar fantasy books fan, and I didn't enjoy the magic chapters as much, however it was still amazing. Definitely adding some of the others to my to-read list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't enjoy the magical chapters much at all either, but I got Carry On on a whim, but loved it so so much! Please read it, I even preferred it to Fangirl! Let me know if you do read any :)) Thank you for always taking the time to comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment