The Book Diaries ep.2 || A Room With A View by E.M. Forster

Hi Everyone!

The Book Diaries are back! I know it's probably not been that long since you read about my experience of Maman, What Are We Called Now? by Jaqueline Mensil-Amar, but I was so inspired that this time I am doing one for A Room With A View by E.M. Forster. 

So take a seat and come along with me as I discover my first Forster book...


Side Note: The font is a little different so if it messes up the formatting (especially for email subscribers) then I will try to sort this. However, if you are reading this on email, click on the title to be taken to this blog online so you can hopefully see it in it's more polished visual form!

Sunday, 27th March 2022


I started A Room With A View this morning! So spontaneous but so wonderful so far! The weather is gorgeous and reading this in the early spring sunshine is just perfect! It is a book I've been wanting to read for a while and I am very excited to get into it. 

I reached page 40 this morning and it makes me want to travel so badly! The descriptions of Florence are just enchanting and I am  a bit obsessed with the whole atmosphere, almost Dark Academia like! Loving this so far!


Wednesday 30th March


I haven't read much and haven't updated here because I've just been so busy with school. The end of term is always very stressful with assessments and homework and stuff. I'm still loving A Room With a View, and I'm so sad I haven't read as much as I would like to of it yet. I also haven't written much (actually anything) on here for a while, luckily I have a lot pre-scheduled! 


Thursday 31st March

The first three days of this week were very stressful, but I was working and doing okay staying on top of things. However, what I didn't expect was that I have a day at home! We have so many staff members absent at school for both Covid and other reasons, that they have to have a year group off almost every day! So I'm at home today, supposed to be home learning but in reality I'm mainly catching up on homework and getting in some extra revision time. I can't even begin to tell you how nice it is to be able to catch up on everything and do some things for leisure too! 

I made a bit of progress with A Room With A View, I'm now on page 71. It's such great escapism as it is set in Florence so far and although I have never been to Florence, I can perfectly picture the streets and atmosphere...The writing is beautiful and only once have I had to reread the same passage again because I didn't understand! 

I am feeling a bit of pressure though because I really wanted to limit the amount of physical books I take on holiday and so wanted to both finish A Room With A View and read another YA book I am desperate to get to before I go on holiday. But as it is apporaching and I've had less time to read, I don't think I will be able to finish A Room With A View that soon, so I just have to hope i will be able to take my YA book with me!


Saturday 2nd April

I cannot believe it is April. Where did March go? I am so ready for Spring though and this book is just perfect for that! 

I read some more this morning and reached page 100, Things are starting to happen now, and it's all getting exciting! However, I also am not liking the parts set in England as much as the parts in Florence...


Sunday 3rd April

So much is happening in A Room With A View! There is just so much going on and I'm really enjoying it. I got to page 139 this morning. I am hoping to finish it in the next week, which would be great and I will keep you updated! 

Although I am really liking it, I just don't get that feeling of a favourite. It just doesn't give me the same vibes that Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights do for example. I think it will be in my top ten classics, but it isn't a book I'm head over heels in love with!

Friday 8th April

This last week has been pretty crazy! From organising a fundraiser at school, to getting a ton of assessment results (and doing more assessments), it's been pretty hectic - hence why I haven't updated here. 

Today is the first day of my Easter holidays!!! YAY! And this morning I finished A Room With A View! It was fantastic and I'm so glad I've read it! It also worked out perfectly timing wise so that's amazing! 

I loved the protagonist, Lucy, and just the summery, spring vibe of the whole book. I definitely recommend reading it in Spring, and it just makes you want to travel - which is also perfect seeing as I'm about to go on holiday!

I haven't mentioned what this is about but it is basically about a young woman called Lucy Honeychurch who goes to Florence with her cousin. There she meets all the weird and wonderful people of the Pension Bertollini, including a young man she has a bit of a soft spot for. On her return to England, she is soon engaged to another man. 

She has many different feelings and I also love the way that this book bridges the gap between Victorian England and Edwardian England, and there are several mentions of "women now" and "modern times" where love is starting to be taken into account more when deciding to marry, rather than just how high up in society they are. 

Overall, this was a great, "sun-drenched" read, perfect for Spring and for the mood I've been in. 


Thank you so much for taking the time to be here with me today and I wish you all very happy reading!



Have you read this book? Is it on your TBR? What do you think about seasons to read books? Is there a book you think is perfect for Spring? 


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. Casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

My head of year invited me and other students with a good attitude to learning on our reports for a breakfast, where we could sit, chat and eat food. It descended into the boys making a tower out of cups and the girls trying to knock it down with hair bands! Very fun!

Comments

  1. I sure sounds like a lovely book, and I enjoyed your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wendy! I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment