MARCH YA BOOK OF THE MONTH: I Was Born For This by Alice Oseman | Review

Hi Everyone!

Confession time: I didn't have this book chosen until a couple weeks ago. Rest assured, I do have April all sorted and have had for a while so I could always use that one but I wanted it for April. Anyway, after much deliberation, I chose I Was Born For This by Alice Oseman!

I am very conscious that so far, YA Book Of The Month hasn't been very varied and this won't really do that either but I'm hoping I can make up for it later in the year. 



For Angel Rahimi, life is only about one thing: The Ark – a pop-rock trio of teenage boys who are currently taking the world by storm. Being part of The Ark’s fandom has given her everything – her friendships, her dreams, her place in the world.

Jimmy Kaga-Ricci owes everything to The Ark too. He’s their frontman – and playing in a band is all he’s ever dreamed of doing. It’s just a shame that recently everything in his life seems to have turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Because that’s the problem with dreaming – eventually, inevitably, real life arrives with a wake-up call. And when Angel and Jimmy are unexpectedly thrust together, they will discover just how strange and surprising facing up to reality can be.

 



I first read I Was Born For This in February 2021. It was the last one of Alice Oseman's books that I had to read and it was definitely the one I was least excited to do so, hence why it was the one I had kept behind. I included it in a 'Coup De Coeur' post about Alice Oseman's books, so I feel I never got the chance to properly gush about it! If you want to read that post you can do so here!

WOW! This book just wasn't what I was expecting at all! I really connected to the characters, especially Angel and felt very invested in the story. I have a very specific image of the places in this book and every time I read it I am transported to them, which is so special. The way Alice Oseman writes is definitely what does it for me - I love her so much!

There is a lot of diversity too and it feels natural, and not only put in to tick a box. There is representation of a trans man, a Muslim girl, multiple BAME characters...It feels so normalised and it is very refreshing to read. There is also a character with anxiety which was not exaggerated and made sense with the circumstances.

I want the band at the center of this book to be real so badly! Jimmy, Lister and Rowan seem INCREDIBLE and I can imagine exactly what kind of people and band they would be. Angel and her friend Juliet are so special too, they really show the struggles of being a teenager today and how internet friendships can nowadays be just as strong as in-person friendships.

The actual plot is pretty damn genius. It appears pretty simple but the ENDING. Everything comes together so well and all makes sense. There are so many amazing moments where things are revealed and you understand more and more about what is going on.  It tells of a very different perspective of fame and and online fandom culture and there is so much to unpack within this. I think I will do a post on the portrayal of fame though so I won't go into it now!

Honestly, reading this is always pure joy. It brings me such comfort and I was in a weird reading mood after January so this helped to lift that.

Rating:



I hope some of you will consider picking this one up, I was so unsure about it but I loved it and I want more people to read it! 



Let's chat!

Have you read this? What did you think? Do you think you would like it if you did read it? 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments