Secrets, Lies and Surprises: Why Holly Jackson's 'The Reappearance Of Rachel Price' is a must read

Hi Everyone!

Welcome back to my blog! I have been a huge fan of A Good Girl's Guide To Murder by Holly Jackson for years, but Five Survive didn't really appeal to me for some reason. However, I've just finished reading The Reappearance Of Rachel Price and all I can say is that Jackson strikes again, and this was written by an absolute genius. 




The plot is so complex, and greatly surprising, with intricate characters and a very vivid setting. We follow Rachel Price's daughter, Bel, as she and her dad film for a documentary surrounding her mother's disappearance. They both receive a massive shock when Rachel reappears and they have to learn to be a family again. But the circumstances surrounding her disappearance are far darker than Bel first imagined and soon she is uncovering sinister Price family secrets. 

This is a gripping story that had me reading for hours on end - especially towards the end! Holly Jackson says it is her best book yet, and I definitely agree. She is incredible - to have written such a complex book in terms of plot and relationships between characters, and twists that I could never have anticipated! Although Pip and Ravi from A Good Girl's Guide To Murder will always hold a special place in my heart, Bel and Carter are also fantastic characters, although arguably less likeable at times than Pip and Ravi. I didn't always like what Bel did, or how she acted, but they were always for the right reasons. She is a character of many layers, which are slowly unravelled throughout the story. 

I really did care about what happened in this book. Jackson has a way of making you care so deeply about her characters, which is only intensified when themes of grief, trauma and complicated family relationships surface.

I found it fascinating as the characters were unravelled, and secrets revealed. I loved seeing how the 'shadows' of their personalities and lives were explored. The depth of these characters was very impressive as it made me reflect on my own friendships and how the view you have of people can be transformed once a single secret or fact is revealed. Watching these people experience such a rollercoaster of emotions was extremely engrossing, and I was totally embarked on the journey with Bel, Carter, Charlie, Jeff, Sherry, and of course, Rachel. 

I highly recommend this book as a fantastic summer read, for fans of Holly Jackson's other books, as well as Karen M. McManus and Ravena Guron. 


Around The Blogosphere: 

- Nerd Daily reviews The Reappearance Of Rachel Price
- Read my review of Holly Jackson's other books - A Good Girl's Guide To Murder, Good Girl Bad Blood and As Good As Dead.


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. I hope you will pick up The Reappearance Of Rachel Price, and definitely let me know in the comments if you do, or if you've watched the TV show for A Good Girl's Guide To Murder because I'm yet to watch that! Happy reading!


Have you read The Reappearance Of Rachel Price? Have you read any of Holly Jackson's other books? What have you been reading this summer? Have you watched the TV show for A Good Girl's Guide To Murder?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I met a friend today and it's so special because we only see each other in the summer - she has lived all over the world (most recently in Vietnam) and I live in England so we always have a whole year of gossip and life updates to catch up on! We chatted for ages about so many different things, including travel, friendships and school, while sitting in the sun eating lunch together on the beach, for old times' sake. 

Comments

  1. heyy, what did you think of the agggtm show? I didn't actually read those books because I managed to take the 2nd book from the library and got hella confused. I don't know how I felt about the show but I've seen other people that didn't really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't watched it yet!! I've really been meaning to but I've heard mixed things....from what I've heard there are some differences in storyline, and it's probably better to read all three books in order before the show. Some people have loved it and others have said it's too different from the book so I guess I'll make up my own mind when I've watched it! Thanks for taking the time to comment and sorry for the late reply!

      Delete

Post a Comment