YA Book Review: As Good As Dead by Holly Jackson (final book in A Good Girl's Guide To Murder trilogy)

 Hi Everyone!

As soon as I finished this book I knew that this would be a very interesting review for me to write because I don't really know what I think of certain aspects of the book. This was the final installment in the A Good Girl's Guide To Murder trilogy which starts with A Good Girl's Guide To Murder, moves onto Good Girl, Bad Blood and ends with As Good As Dead. I have already reviewed the other two and I definitely think that you need to read them before reading As Good As Dead. You can see my review for them here.

***

This installment is slightly different as it follows Pip as she tracks a stalker who may be linked to a local serial killer, thought to have been in prison for years. The case unravels but the police refuse to believe her and soon, it's her life that's on the line...

My thoughts:

It might not seem like it from what I've already said but loved it so much! Firstly, Pip is such an unforgettable character and she is so realistic. She has all the 'normal' things in her life which makes for a very relatable story in many ways, although she also has many aspects of her life that are not ordinary at all such as her very successful true crime podcast! 

I also found that because of the way the murders happen and are linked, you don't get the impression that it's completely unrealistic how someone could encounter that many murders in such a short space of time, which I often find in murder mystery series such as Murder Most Unladylike (which is amazing by the way, it just feels completely unimaginable how anyone would come across murder literally EVERYWHERE). 

This book ties it all up, bringing back events from the first book to round it all off in a full circle. That is so clever of Holly Jackson and my brain would explode if I wrote something like that! 

HOWEVER, there is something that I don't want to mention for spoiler reasons but which I think is not really okay, it's a major plot point and I understand why Pip does this it just feels wrong and made me feel sorry for a rapist and criminal. I don't know what I really think about this because they deserve it but on the other hand I'm not sure anyone deserves what happens to them and I think it's morally not right to do that. 

This is something I believe I will be thinking a lot about in the near future, about whether this was right of the characters or not and I think that it was a good ending for the story but maybe not the best in other ways. It's given me a lot of food for thought! 

But overall this was such an incredible end to this series and I think it (for the most part) left the story in the right place. The last page just tore my heart out! It was such a perfect last page, though a part of me wanted it to continue! 


I highly recommend this series but don't read this one first, it won't make sense and you'll get all the spoilers for the other books! 

Happy reading!


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments