2023 || my top books & some reflections

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to my 2023 wrap up post! I'm writing this the day before it is due to be published.....everything has just been super hectic recently! I went skiing with my school in Austria and then spent Christmas in France with my family, only to get home yesterday after a very rough ferry crossing! The whole of December has gone by so fast, and my blogging time has been very limited! Anyway, here is my 2023 wrap up, a little scaled back from last year but I hope you'll enjoy nonetheless!




I tried to pick 10....I really did, promise, but these are just too good not to mention - so here are my top 12 books of 2023! 

1. Heartstopper Volume 5

This will come as no surprise to those of you who have been here a while, as this is one of my favourite book series of all time! I've been reading this all throughout the year as it was released online and finally read the physical copy when it was released earlier this month! Filled with friendships, love and acceptance as always, but also deeper personal journeys, this is such a special graphic novel series!



2. Only Mostly Devastated by Sophie Gonzales

I can't believe I never reviewed this one but it was such a comforting read, so much so I actually ended up reading it at least 2 if not 3 times this year! A beautiful story of love, loss and so much more. This book made me cry....if you know, you know.


3. Troublemakers by Catherine Barter

Another one I reread multiple times! Beautifully told, with fabulous characters and a powerful storyline. Another comforting read which I got completely lost in multiple times! I absolutely love the setting of this book, and the unconventional family at its heart. Honestly one of my absolute favourite contemporary books of all time!



4. Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo

I recently reviewed this one and I just felt so different after reading it. It really changes your perspective on yourself, society and your place within it, as well as being so powerful in many ways. This should be required reading.



5. Love Letters Of Virginia Woolf and Vita Sackville West

I bought this book in Shakespeare and Company bookshop in Paris and I have been slowly reading it ever since. The letters are absolutely stunning, and so important. I love that this book exists and I may or may not have spent a lot of time reading it fangirling over all the literary references!



6. One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

I read Red, White and Royal Blue last year so had to read more by this author. I felt so transported by this book, all the way to New York, to the subway, and of course back to the 80s at times too. These characters had such a grip on me; I keep thinking about them! 


7. What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera

Another New York romance, but minus the time travelling in One Last Stop! Such a cute read with impeccable Broadway vibes and the best series of do-over dates every written. A messy, whirlwind romance with the most heartwarming cast of characters.



8. Wish You The Best by Mason Deaver

Confession time: I completely forgot about this book! However, rereading my review makes me want to reread it so badly and I just remembered how much I loved this book. I also got this one as an ARC, which is amazing but means I don't have a physical copy...yet! This is another very impactful read, with huge potential.



9. Emma by Jane Austen

This book took me pretty much all year to read, but I'm proud to say I've read it! I loved the beginning and the end, but the middle really dragged on, hence why it took me so long to read! I loved the world, of course, and the characters and storyline.....the middle section of the book just got a bit boring, honestly, which really pains me to say! 


10. Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day by Winifred Watson

A hilarious classic, with great characters and a unique story. Set over the course of one day, this is quite a different book, but I really liked it and can't wait to read more Persephone books in the future!


11. Imogen, Obviously by Becky Albertalli

A bundle of joy, from beginning to end. This book has some great discussions around queerbaiting and internalised homophobia too, and the most wholesome characters. A fantastic read and another ARC, which I will definitely have to think about getting a physical copy of!



12. 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

A charming collection of letters and a book about books! I loved all the literary references, and this was another quite different read that really enchanted me! Highly recommend!


****


Overall, I've read so many different books this year! I'm really happy with what I've read, even if it isn't as much as other years. I also haven't posted as much as other years, but I've travelled to five different countries this year, and had an intense year with school as well (and it only gets more crazy next year!!). I've had a really good year, even if I haven't spent as much time blogging as I have previously. I still wrote 29 posts this year, which I'm happy with, considering everything. It doesn't come close to the 103 from last year though! 

I still love this platform and I can't wait to be able to invest more time in it at some point! 


I can't even begin to express my gratitude at all of you who read my blog. Every comment makes my day, and I hope you'll keep following along to see what books 2024 brings us!


What was your favourite book of the year? Okay, that's hard...top 3 then? Thoughts about any of my top 12? 


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I had hot chocolate in front of a film with my mum and my sister. True casual magic <3.

Comments

  1. Emma is my least favorite Jane Austen book. I don't even think I like her character. But Mr. Knightly is great.

    Sadly, I'm not much of fan of the other books but my taste is different from yours but I'm glad you enjoyed those books.

    I find hot chocolate anytime is good as I'm a hot chocolate fan.

    I hope 2024 will be good to you. Have a lovely new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's surprising - a lot of people seem to love the book Emma! Her character is a big one up for debate haha but yes Mr Knightley is a great character. Happy new year, I hope it treats you well, and thank you so much for supporting my blog.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read that many books in 2023 but I think my favourite would have to be Pages & Co The Treehouse Library by Anna James,. I'm glad you finally finished Emma, it's been on your desk all year! Keep going with the amazing posts,
    Adèle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read the other Pages and Co books! Thank you Adele!!

      Delete

Post a Comment