84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff || a must read

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to the blog post I hinted at a few weeks ago! This is a much overdue review of 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff, which I read a little while back and absolutely fell in love with! I truly hope you are all well, and settling into this cosy season. I know I haven't been very active on here, but please bear with me while try to juggle school work and this space!




Synopsis:

This charming classic, first published in 1970, brings together twenty years of correspondence between Helene Hanff, a freelance writer living in New York City, and a used-book dealer in London. Through the years, though never meeting and separated both geographically and culturally, they share a winsome, sentimental friendship based on their common love for books. Their relationship, captured so acutely in these letters, is one that will grab your heart and not let go.


This book is so beautiful, it's so human, it's absolutely fantastic! I absolutely fell in love with these characters, this story, this place. I was really whisked away to their world and taken in by their story. I love epistolary novels and this one tops them all. 

I adored all the literary references, I laughed out loud, I may even have shed a small tear at the end. I just got so attached to this story. I love books about books and this one just ticks all the boxes!

It's emotional, it's heartwarming, it's so powerful and yet so ordinary. I admire what this book does, how it deals with so much and yet so little. It's an everyday sort of book. Some may say that this book is boring, after all, most of what we hear about relates to books that Helene is looking for and thank you notes from the bookshop for her generosity in gifts. But it's so special. This book is so special.

If you're looking for a bit of a different read which will completely enchant you, then this is it. This is your sign to pick up this book!


Around The Blogosphere: 

- Honestly, I'm barely keeping up with my own blog, let alone reading other peoples! If you've found any interesting posts recently then let me know, or of course if you've written one of your own!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, and for still being here after all this time. This truly is such a wonderful space. I've missed being active on here! Happy reading!


Have you read this book? Do you want to? What  have you been reading?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I went for coffee with a friend in town. We chatted for so so long about friends, college options, future aspirations, how much we've changed over the last six years of our friendship. It was so beautiful and just reminded me how much I value our friendship and deep conversations. Missed you <3

Comments