Summer 2023 Book Haul || i went to Shakespeare and Company bookshop!

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to my summer book haul! This summer I travelled to Paris, and therefore (of course), HAD to visit Shakespeare and Company! It was such a magical experience, and I can't wait to share which books I found there too. I could have stayed there all day! 



A few days before arriving in Paris, I was watching a BookTube short from Claire Fenby, and she mentioned this book. I instantly wanted it! You can imagine my shock walking around Shakespeare and Company and seeing this exact book on one of the tables. I gasped, squealed and grabbed it, you know, just in case someone else passing at that moment had also seen it and was going to snatch it from beneath my eyes. I flicked through it and probably squealed some more! These are the love letters between Virginia Woolf and Vita Sackville West, and I can't even tell you how excited and interested I am to read it! 


Paris in Our View is a collection of poems about Paris, compiled by Shakespeare and Company. It features such an incredible range of authors, and I love how each poem is so very different, how each poet has a different take on this popular city. I love how the cover features the view from the upstairs window of Shakespeare and Company, where countless of authors and aspiring writers have stood. It's a truly special place, so I had to get this book!

This is one that I didn't buy at Shakespeare and Company; I found it in one of the little free library boxes in the area where we were staying. It's a shortened and simplified version of Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak, made for young readers. I am very curious to read this, and I think it's a great introduction to the full novel and will make it less daunting when I do read the full version one day.












I picked up this YA in Shakespeare and Company, it just caught my eye and it seems like a really powerful read. I've been wanting to stock up on some feel-good YA recently so I have some to read during mock exam season and this is a great addition to my stash!
On my travels this summer, I visited Amsterdam with my family! The main thing I absolutely wanted to do while on this trip was go to the Anne Frank House. And it was such an experience. It's such a well thought out museum, with information sections before you visit the actual annex, which is done in silence. It was so powerful, and definitely not overrated, it was so worth it. I found this book, called The Last Seven Months Of Anne Frank by Willy Lindwer, which is compiled from the accounts of six women who knew Anne Frank in her last months, in the concentration camp Bergen-Belsen. I think it's going to be a really impactful read.


The haul!

I did also buy a tote bag from Shakespeare and Company bookshop! 



One side has an image from the upstairs of the bookshop - with the infamous quote "Be not inhospitable to strangers lest they be angels in disguise", while the other side has the name of the bookshop and of course Shakespeare! It's so sturdy and I can't wait to go book shopping with it and fill it with wonderful new reads to tide me over this academic year!

Also - side note- yes this IS the bookshop that the Heartstopper characters visit in season two!! Who else is a little in love with the new season?


Around The Blogosphere: 

- Drizzle and Hurricane Books shared 10 Books Like Red, White and Royal Blue - click here!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. I hope you're having a beautiful day, and I'm sending you all so much love. Thanks for sticking around :)


Have you read any of these books? Have you ever been to Shakespeare and Company bookshop in Paris? What books have you acquired recently?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I went to a beach and watched the sunset. It was so magical. What are you grateful for today?

Comments

  1. I read The Words We Keep last summer, and really enjoyed it, so I can't wait to see what you think of it!
    I love reading your book hauls, and was so happy to see you had posted on here again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I'll definitely tell you when I've read it!! Thank you so much, your comments always make me smile :))

      Delete
  2. Hi Z! Thanks for your post and sharing your best spots in Paris and inspiring bookshops. I’ve just finished a book by Lola Lafon, a French writer who spent a night in Anne Frank’s house (and even in the annex), and wrote about the experience in « Quand tu écouteras cette chanson », so your post made me think of this fascinating book that I’ve just finished. Hope you’ll read it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that book sounds fascinating! Visiting the Anne Frank House was such a surreal experience, and I can't imagine what it would be like to spend a night there....I would love to read that at some point!! Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment :))

      Delete
  3. This sounds like the most amazing bookshop! I love that tote bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is STUNNING! Yes it's definitely my new favourite!!

      Delete
  4. Love your book choice I have read tons of those books and look forward to reading the ones I haven't read yet!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment