Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo | this should be required reading

Hi Everyone!

Confession time: I've been reading this book on and off since May. It's the longest I've ever spent reading a single book, although it will be overtaken by Emma when I eventually finish it! Anyway, I hope you enjoy hearing my thoughts.




This book is so powerful.
This book is so necessary.
This book is so beautiful. 
This book is so life-changingly perspective altering.

It is told from 12 perspectives of women, all with different life stories and different struggles, but interlinked and with running themes. Themes of loneliness, financial struggle and feminism. Themes of love and loss and determination to make a better life for themselves.

This book has made me re-evaluate my position in society, as a person with admittedly great privileges. It has made me rethink my place as a woman, and the power that holds. It's life-changing. 

This book is full of the most inspiring and dedicated women, who didn't give up, who didn't give in and who refused to let their place in society be dictated by their gender and race. Interwoven in this is explorations of their sexualities, of their identities, and of their families and histories.

This book links past, present and future to form an absolute powerhouse of a novel, which makes you think and feel so deeply. I honestly believe it should be required reading for everyone. 

Do be aware of some more difficult themes explored in this book, but if you think you may enjoy it then I absolutely encourage you to pick it up!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, and please pick up this book if it sounds like something you might enjoy! Let me know in the comments what you've been reading recently!


Have you read this book? Do you want to? What have you been reading recently?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I went to watch the fireworks for bonfire night and I just stood with someone who has become one of my best friends in the last few months, and watched the display. It was truly magical. There is so much casual magic in new friendships and unexpected friendships, in finding a like-minded human and becoming so close in so little time.

Comments

  1. Well done Zoë! I loved your post just as I loved this book... I was given to me by Hannah about a year ago, I loved it and gave it in turn to many of my friends. Couldn't stand the idea that some of my closest friends hadn't read it, actually :D. It is "life-changing" indeed! If you loved Girl, Woman, Other you should also read Americanah (by Chimamande Ngozi Adichie)- or maybe you already have? I've just finished it and I miss Ifemelu, the main character, as if a close friend had moved to the other end of the world... There are books you never want to read the last page of, right? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow this comment really made me smile! I'm so glad you loved this book! I haven't read Americanah but I'll add it to my list! Thank you :) I love the books where I feel like I've made a group of friends, and when I can't bare to let them go. There are definitely books that I don't ever want to put down :') xx

      Delete

Post a Comment