Book Review || Lady Rose and Mrs Memmary by Ruby Ferguson

Hi Everyone!

I'm writing this surrounded by the sound of rain hammering at my window and on my roof and it's so peaceful and cosy! Today I am bringing you my review of Lady Rose and Mrs Memmary by Ruby Ferguson. This is the Persephone Book which I bought in Bath and I LOVED IT and am so excited to share some thoughts with you. 



Synopsis:

Lady Rose Targenet, later the Countess of Lochlule marries Sir Hector, owner of the estate next to 'Keepsfield', the palatial Scottish mansion where she lives. But one day she meets someone on a park bench in Edinburgh. This novel is about dreams and the hard world of money and position and their relations to one another.

Firstly, the structure of this book is just fantastic. It reminded me slightly of Wuthering Heights in the narrative structure because it is a story told by an old housekeeper/caretaker, which is very similar to Wuthering Heights. 

I got very attached to Lady Rose and the story as a whole was so sad but also so beautiful. I love the way that this book felt like it happened in a National Trust house and it just had SUCH GOOD VIBES. 

I love the way that it critiques the way that society once upon a time saw love and marriage and what that meant for people, especially women, living in those unhappy, loveless marriages. This is a truly revolutionary book and one that I think everyone should read. 

The jealousy between Lady Rose and her husband is so interesting to read because he is jealous of her position and it's almost like he is jealous of the fact that a woman has a higher title than himself. It's a fascinating concept and this whole book really explores the gender inequalities at the time.

It also is a love letter to Scotland. The descriptions of the landscape were stunning and I think the perfect place to read this would be in Scotland! If you are Scottish or are interested in Scotland then you should definitely pick this one up. 

It is not very long, and I don't want to say too much because I'm really hoping that some of you will read it, but something happens at the end which shifts your perspective on the entire story and it's truly compelling. The ending of this book I absolutely love and I just wanted to reread it with this new knowledge! 


Around The Blogosphere: 

- Bag Full Of Books shared some thoughts (be aware that this post lays out most of the plot) - click here! 

- The Captive Reader shares an absolutely amazing review of this book - click here!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, I hope it finds you well. I truly hope that some of you will look into getting some Persephone books - this one or others. Happy reading!


Have you read this book? Do you want to? Have you read any Persephone books? What are you currently reading? How are you?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

Here in Somerset we've had about four days of constant fog. I haven't seen the sun or more than 10 metres in front of me in four whole days. But today, the fog FINALLY lifted and there was a beautiful sunset with pink clouds and the hazy remainder of the fog in the air - stunning! What are you grateful for today?

Comments

  1. This sounds so good, Zoë. I love the setting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I love it too! Well worth a read just for that. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting, it truly means so much. Happy reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment