You Don't Know What War Is by Yeva Skalietska || ARC Book Review

Hi Everyone!

I for some reason have a TON of book reviews to write because I've read loads of books but haven't been writing many reviews. I am finally in the mood to write them again, so today I wanted to share my review of You Don't Know What War Is by Yeva Skalietska, the inspiring diary of a young Ukrainian girl. This is one that really impacted me, so I truly hope that some of you will pick it up.

Thank you so much to Bloomsbury Children's Books and Netgalley for granting me free and advanced access to this book. All opinions are my own. 

Date of Publication: 25th October 2022



Synopsis:


Everyone knows the word 'war'. But very few understand what it truly means. When you find you have to face it, you feel totally lost, walled in by fright and despair. Until you’ve been there, you don’t know what war is.

This is the gripping, urgent and moving diary of young Ukrainian refugee Yeva Skalietska. It follows twelve days in Ukraine that changed 12-year-old Yeva's life forever. She was woken in the early hours to the terrifying sounds of shelling. Russia had invaded Ukraine, and her beloved Kharkiv home was no longer the safe haven it should have been. It was while she and her granny were forced to seek shelter in a damp, cramped basement that Yeva decided to write down her story. And it is a story that the world needs to hear.

Yeva captured the nation's heart when she was featured on Channel 4 News with her granny as they fled Ukraine for Dublin. In You Don't Know What War Is, Yeva records what is happening hour-by-hour as she seeks safety and travels from Kharkiv to Dublin. Each eye-opening diary entry is supplemented by personal photographs, excerpts of messages between Yeva and her friends and daily headlines from around the world, while three beautifully detailed maps (by Kharkiv-native Olga Shtonda) help the reader track Yeva and her granny’s journey through Europe. You Don’t Know What War Is is a powerful insight into what conflict is like through the eyes of a child and an essential read for adults and older children alike.



This is an absolutely soul-destroying book. I rarely read non-fiction, diaries or memoirs, but this was a must, especially as the author is only 12. It follows her journey through the first days of the war in Ukraine, her home country. I didn't actually know that she was featured on Channel 4 until it was mentioned in the book, so I will have to see if I can watch that at some point.

I love how You Don't Know What War Is includes photos of her, as well as a map and headlines from around the world for every day, which all made me feel much closer to her and her story, and reminded me of the headlines that I was seeing around that time. Her writing was simple, but effective, and very profound and mature for such a young age. I really enjoyed her way of recounting her days, and even if there were points that I wanted to cry, there were also parts which definitely made me smile.

I loved the group chat messages, where you get an insight into the conversations between her and her friends. This resonated with me a lot, and made it feel even more real. No 12 year old should have to have these kinds of conversations with her friends.

Michael Morpurgo wrote the introduction, which I felt was very fitting, and I liked what he had to say too, especially as he has written so many war stories. I also went to a Michael Morpurgo talk a few weeks ago, so saw him and listened to him talk about his life and books, and his wife was there too which was interesting.

This is the kind of book that I don't want to say too much about, aside from the fact that it will break your heart and give you a new awareness of the war in Ukraine and everything that is going on there. I have two Ukrainian students in my class and there are quite a few in our school, and reading this book has given me a new perspective on what they've been through. Although I will never fully understand what they have seen and lived through, this book is as close as I can come. 

This did, in places remind me of Anne Frank's diary. The innocence and way that she recounts the events in a matter of fact way but never forgetting the terror and pain that she lived through.

This is a day by day account of her journey, and I felt like I was almost with her every step of the way. I can never know what war is unless I experience it, but through Yeva's book, I've had a glimpse of it. 


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, and I truly hope some of you will consider picking this one up, once it is published on 25th October 2022. Happy reading!


Have you read many diaries/memoirs? Have you read anything about the war in Ukraine? Have you read anything written by such a young author? 


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

A Beautiful sunrise this morning <3

Image taken by me, with no filter or editing.

Also, I'm learning Spanish at the moment, ready for my D of E award! I'm really enjoying it! Lots of casual magic!

Comments

  1. What a powerful story! I'm glad I don't really know what war is, but would like to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, such a fantastic read. I am so lucky and glad that I don't know what war is too, and I really hope you read this - it's really worth it! Such an inspiring story!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds so inspiring and heart-breaking, and is going straight on my to-read list. (beautifully written review as well x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely read it! It's a truly compelling book! Thank you so much xx

      Delete

Post a Comment