Heartbreak Boys by Simon James Green || Book Review

Hi Everyone!

I am so sorry that I didn't get round to Top Ten Tuesday this week, I ran out of time to write the post and had a lot of other things to do on Monday night, so didn't feel like doing it last minute either. I was also not really into this weeks topic and couldn't find much, so well done to those who participated! 

You would also think that this being the first day of Victober, the Victorian October Readathon which I am taking part in, this would be a Victober related post, but it isn't - however, lots of them are coming soon, and probably so many that you'll be sick of them by the end of the month! 

I recently read Heartbreak Boys by Simon James Green and really enjoyed it so today I wanted to share a review of it. 

I hope you are all well, please feel free to let me know in the comments what books you've been enjoying recently ❤!


Synopsis:

Faking the best summer ever is a lot harder than it looks...

At the start of summer, Jack and Nate find themselves dumped as their respective exes, Dylan and Tariq, start up a new relationship together. Not only that, their exes start posting pics on social media, showing the whole world how fabulous their new life together is!

Jack and Nate are reeling. Not to be outdone, they decide to create their own 'highlights reel' and show their exes that they're having an even better time.

But between the depressing motorway service station motels, damp campsites, and an ultimate showdown with the exes, something epic really is happening: Jack and Nate are learning to get over their heartache and open themselves up to new possibilities for love.


This was the absolute perfect escape and living inside this story was such a comfort. It was a bit of a guilty pleasure but sometimes you just need a bit of a cheesy romance. This was however, a little more than that! 

The whole reason as to why Nate and Jack find themselves in this position and their history is so well-thought out and the characters were so loveable, all while having flaws. Some of the parts with Nate's sister, Rose, were very funny, and Elliot, Jack's cousin is a very unique character, but I think he was a good addition to the plot! 

Nate is more reserved and self-conscious and I related to him a lot. Jack is the outgoing, confident and talkative one, but through his POV we get to see his more vulnerable side too. I really like this aspect too. Their personalities (as you can imagine) clash in the most wonderfully unpredictable ways!

There were also several side characters which I equally enjoyed - even if they are all a bit strange in places! 

I love the idea of the road trip, and everything they get up to. The romance develops slowly but in a really natural and believable way. 

Some of the things they got up to were very amusing and I found myself laughing out loud A LOT while reading this, much to the confusion of those around me! But this was HILARIOUS and Simon James Green truly is the master of awkward YA comedy!

I love the exploration of how fake social media is, but also how it can portray how we want our lives to be, which in some cases can become reality. There was also an interesting scene with a YouTube meet-up, which turns out to not be what they thought. I like the way that it shows how the people we are on social media can be very different from who we are in real life. 

I did, however, think that parts of it were very strange and forced and very unbelievable, which was okay because I just got lost in the story, but looking back on it some of it was a bit weird! It reminded me a bit of some of Holly Bourne's books for that!

Overall, this was very cute and immersive, which I recommend for a light-hearted, easy read. 



Around The Blogosphere: 

- Queen Of Teen Fiction raves about Heartbreak Boys - click here!

- Madge Eekal Reviews shares her thoughts on this book - click here!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post! Happy reading! 


Have you read this book? Do you want to? What book(s) have you been enjoying recently? Any recommendations for me?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

After hearing about the song Butterfly by UMI, I finally listened to it for the first time this morning and loved it! I am also listening to a very vibey playlist right now, and to be honest, music is true casual magic right now

Comments

  1. Terrific review, Zoë. I love the idea of a road trip, this sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes the idea of a roadtrip is what initially attracted me - I would love to do a literary roadtrip of the UK!! Happy reading and that you so much for taking the time to comment, sorry I can't always repay the favour.

      Delete

Post a Comment