Top Ten Tuesday | 8 Books With A Theme Of War

Hi Everyone!

I don't really have a favourite trope but I find reading books about war fascinating. It also somehow felt appropriate for the current situation and reading books about past wars really makes you realise what a disaster this is. I feel so much for all the people in Ukraine and I don't want to talk about it too much because it honestly terrifies me, but there we are! The events that are in these books are ones that I know none of you would want repeated and books are so powerful as they let you experience it, without really experiencing it, if that makes sense! 

Anyway, take this time with me out of your day to chat about some impactful and important books and I hope you are all okay.



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

1. The Tattooist Of Auschwitz by Heather Morris ( and the sequels, Cilka's Journey and The Three Sisters)

This is such a powerful book, that deals with some really tough themes. It's incredible how it's based on a true story. I may even prefer the sequel Cilka's Journey and it really tells of someone with such a determination to live, even in the most horrific circumstances. I am looking forward to reading The Three Sisters at some point too. The first book The Tattooist Of Auschwitz is about Lale Sokolov and his unique experience of being a tattooist in Auschwitz. It is fascinating to read but so heartbreaking, for obvious reasons.

2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows

This is a fantastic book about a writer who corresponds with a man living on Guernsey. It is set after the second world war and in these letters, she is told about she is told about the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, made up as a cover up story when the occupied Guernsey inhabitants break the curfew. It's such an incredible book and one I am definitely due for a reread of. 

3. Our Castle by The Sea by Lucy Strange

This is a YA historical fiction about Pet who lives in a lighthouse. Her Mutti is taken away, on suspicion of corresponding with the enemy and her father also helps save soldiers in Dunkirk. This is entwined with legends, lies and twisted secrets. It's a book I remember loving, although I'm not sure if I will reread it. It was a book I found very moving and you never know, maybe one day I'll find myself back with Pet and her family.

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I'm pretty sure you will have heard of this book. If you haven't, this is about Liesel Meminger who is adopted and when her Papa learns she is illiterate, he teaches her to read. However, money is tight and she resorts to stealing books. This book is one of the most heart breaking. It just takes everything and stamps it on the floor. It's so powerful but just so sad...it's just full of emotions! 

5. The Call by Edith Ayrton Zangwill

This was my first classic of 2022 and it talks about the Suffragettes but then moves onto the first world war too. I had very conflicted thoughts about this one but in the end I liked it. It's a Persephone book and I love what they do. They share books by primarily women authors who are AMAZING but hugely underrated. I can't wait to read more of their titles and if you want to know more about this particular one I encourage you to read my review, which goes into more detail.

6. Things A Bright Girl Can Do by Sally Nicholls

This is another one that I still have no idea what I think about. I liked it at times but there were a few things that bugged me about it and I didn't love. I have talked to some friends about this too and they agree so at least I know it's not just me! It is a great book that talks, again, about the suffragettes but also then leads onto the war and touches upon the theme of pacifists too. I do recommend reading it, because I think others may like it more than I did and maybe if I read it again I would like it more too.

7. Aldophus Tips by Michael Morpurgo

I know when a lot of people think of war novels, they think about Michael Morpurgo. I used to love his books and I still do, although I don't really read them anymore. I have a very special connection to this book too because it was read to me and my class when I was in Year 3 on a school residential to Slapton Ley, where the book is set. I can still recall the teacher's voice as he read it and it's so special because we read it in the place it is set. Anyway, this is one of my favourite war stories and one of Michael Morpurgo's best in my opinion. I could literally fill this whole list with his books so I limited myself to one!

8. The Penguin Book Of First World War Poetry

A bit of a different one this time as this is a book full of poetry from WW1. It's a book full of so much emotion and so many incredible poets. I've really enjoyed reading this and I love poetry in general. I have also just finished a topic on poetry in school and we did a few lessons on war poetry so having read some of this also gave me a good advantage there!  If you want to read war poetry, then this is definitely the place to go for WW1.



War stories can be so hard to read but are also some of the books that stay with me the longest. They are the books I think about and as I mentioned at the start of this post, the books that are most important in making sure that history does not repeat itself. Unfortunately, we can all see where the situation in Ukraine is and that makes it more important than ever to read these books to even begin to understand what these people are going through. 

Thank you for being here and happy TTT!


Let's chat!

What do you think of war books? Do you have any recommendations for me? Any of these that you've read? What did you think? Link your TTT post below and I'll definitely take a look! 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. I love Historical Fiction as well. Here is my post-https://paigesofbook.wordpress.com/2022/03/08/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-your-favorite-trope-theme/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, historical fiction is definitely one of my favourite genres!

      Delete
  2. The Book Thief is one of my absolute favourite books ever! I also really enjoyed Things A Bright Girl Can Do :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/03/08/top-ten-tuesday-358/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see why so many people love the book theif! Things a bright girl can do is a little more controversial as I mentioned above but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll check out your post too xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you! So many people love the book theif! Hopefully you've now got an extra push to read these books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent recommendations on a tough topic. You even included a Castle book! I'll have to check that one out for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes,I think it's actually the only castle book I've read 😂, I think it's worth a read :)

      Delete
  5. Great recommendations! The Book Thief is one of my favorite books ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's definitely popular in the comments here!

      Delete
  6. I don't know how I missed this post when it first went up! I also like books set during war time for many of the same reasons you do. I have not read most of the books on your list, so I'm definitely going to take a closer look at these. Thanks for the heads-up!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, thanks for taking the time to stop by :)

      War books are just fascinating, definitely consider some of these if you haven't already read them!

      Delete

Post a Comment