YA Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

 Hi Everyone!

Back in March I read The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. It is quite a famous YA novel and I ended up rating it four stars on Goodreads, but I did really enjoy it. There is an adaptation which I  will hopefully watch soon.

If you don't know, The Fault In Our Stars is about Hazel who has lung cancer. She goes to a support group and meets Augustus Waters, with whom she strikes up a friendship. Augustus has cancer too, though it's been gone for a while. They go on a life-changing trip to Amsterdam and bond over a favourite author. They also go and see The Anne Frank House (I'm jealous!) But they can never fully relax due to their illnesses...

I loved Hazel and Augustus but wasn't a fan of their author 'friend' at the start. In the end he was okay but I just didn't love his personality and just something about him I didn't quite get on with but as I said, at the end he became a more likeable character. That's what lost the fifth star for me...

This is a really insightful and heart-breaking novel about love, loss and friendship. It left me with a sad smile on my face and a tear in my eye. It made me think about certain topics in a different way.

It is a real classic of YA and I nearly bought another John Green a few days ago but traded it in favour of some others- doesn't mean I won't read some in the future. I know he has written several other YA novels so maybe I'll get one sometime.

Happy reading!

I found a film version with
pictures in from the adaptation...


Comments