YA Book Review: Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman // a new love

 Hi Everyone!

I recently read Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman and absolutely loved it! It was a little confusing at first but very gripping and made me a little emotional, though I wasn't about to cry as I was in Tutor Time! Anyway, it was a wonderful read and I can't wait to carry on with the series!

If you don't know, this is written partly from the perspective of Sephy and partly from the perspective of Callum. Sephy is black and the daughter of a successful politician, her family live in a large house but her father is rarely home and she longs to be loved. Callum is from a much poorer background and is white, he longs for equality and tries to go to school and fight for his rights. But this is a world where Noughts and Crosses are fated to be enemies and for Callum and Sephy, who have been friends since childhood, keeping up a friendship or even something more is next to impossible, especially when each family is falling apart.

This is a powerful tale and one that rewrites history if it had been people of colour in power. The injustice in this book is so prominent and the storyline is just perfection! I loved the ups and downs of the plot and everything that happens in the last few pages just made me close the book and think 'what? how?' ! It really resonated with me and also made me rethink racism, especially after all the Black Lives Matter protests we've had in the last year. 

This is a series I am very eager to continue and hopefully fall in love with these characters even more! 

Happy Reading!



Comments