YA Book Review | We Are All Made Of Molecules by Susin Nielsen

Hi Everyone!

This is another book I read as part of my school book club and unlike the past two books, both of which I didn't review because I either didn't finish them or just didn't have a lot to say, I actually really liked this one! Book Club has been a bit hit and miss but this was a hit, and another one that I wouldn't have read on my own.




Thirteen-year-old Stewart is academically brilliant but socially clueless.
Fourteen-year-old Ashley is the undisputed “It” girl in her class, but her grades stink.

Their worlds are about to collide when Stewart and his dad move in with Ashley and her mom. Stewart is trying to be 89.9 percent happy about it, but Ashley is 110 percent horrified. She already has to hide the real reason her dad moved out; “Spewart” could further threaten her position at the top of the social ladder.

They are complete opposites. And yet, they have one thing in common: they—like everyone else—are made of molecules.


This was a very touching book that dealt with a lot of topics including bullying, homophobia and grief. It was one of those books that by the end has restored some faith in humanity! I was very attached to Stewart and his family and I raced through this!

It was a book I needed: it was such an easy, comforting and quick read. It is also humorous and has a certain lightness to it, despite these complex topics.

I loved the perspective of Stewart because he is 'different'. He rates every day by percentage and draws charts to represent everything. He also is converting a bike into an electric bike for under £100 and a member of Mathletes. 

Ashley is your typical teenage girl. She cares a lot about her appearance and when an apparently hot boy joins her school she can't resist. Unfortunately, this all has consequences and although I didn't love her because she is so different to me, she didn't deserve what she got. 

I really enjoyed the whole reason behind how they end up living together. Stewart's mum is dead, Ashley's dad is gay and their other parent falls in love. Ashley's reaction and attitude towards her dad was so realistic and that whole storyline was very well thought out.

I really don't like the cover. It looks childish and although the title is meaningful at the end, it isn't particularly obvious why it is called that at the start and feels a bit random. The cover really is boring and quite ugly to be honest, especially for a book that is definitely YA.

Overall though, this was a great read and I'm so happy I got to it!


Rating:




Thank you so much for being here <3



Let's chat!

Have you read this? What did you think? Do you think you would like this? What are you currently reading? 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments