YA Book Review: The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting by Holly Bourne

Hi Everyone!

I recently picked up The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting by Holly Bourne in my local independent bookshop. I was so excited to read it and although I liked it, I have a lot to say about a few of the things mentioned in it. 




Apparently I'm boring. A nobody.
But that's all about to change.
Because I am starting a project.
Here. Now. For myself.
And if you want to come along for the ride then you're very welcome.

Bree is by no means popular. Most of the time, she hates her life, her school, her never-there-parents. So she writes.

But when Bree is told she needs to stop shutting the world out and start living a life worth writing about, The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting is born. A manifesto that will change everything...

...but the question is, at what cost?

This book seemed like something I would love and to some extent I did, but I also found a few things that I didn't adore about it. Let's talk about the positives first though!

The look into the mind of a 'cool kid' was just great. The way that these people were presented and shown to have a vulnerable side too was so important to me. I am definitely not 'cool' and this book is probably as close as I'll get to ever being so. It's special to see how even the people at the top of the social ladder have their faults, but also can have fun and be nice people, even if they aren't that way at school.

The blog idea and story line was also something I loved. As an avid blogger and writer myself, reading a book about a girl who also becomes a bit obsessed with writing and blogging was amazing! I love the idea behind her blog too and how big of a part it comes to play in her life.

The school was very true to real life too. It's funny how all secondary schools are so similar! The way that people act, the things they do and habits they have were identical to my school. Things like going to the toilet between lessons to apply make-up!

On the other hand though, there was a student-teacher relationship which in the end is important to Bree's development and growth as a character and I did like the parts where the psychology behind it was explored, but it was also a bit awkward to read. I understand that these things happen and I am not judging it, it was just weird in the way it described the relationship.

One of the things that did get to me is the way she was so horrible to the popular kids in the end. Bree basically throws her whole life away to infiltrate the popular group to write about it on her blog and the only reason she wants to be friends with them is because she wants to be 'interesting' and know what it's like to be popular. It's a bit messed up how it was all for the sake of her blog and to satisfy her own insecurities.

I also thought some parts were a bit far-fetched and I don't think it would be that easy to integrate the popular kids. If I turned around tomorrow wanting to be popular I would have to do a lot more than get a specific lipstick. There was also this one part where the Dad talks about how he will ruin this family's reputation and lives forever (he's a lawyer) and Bree's like 'Yay that's amazing' when it doesn't feel right that she's so happy a family will suffer because of one (admittedly bad) mistake on behalf of their 18 year old son.

It also lost a bit of its relatability because Bree goes to a private school and is therefore fairly well-off. This was interesting but also a bit annoying because for any person with less money, the things Bree does would not be possible and Bree takes it all for granted.

I did find Bree very realistic, and I love the fact that I didn't always love her. She was frustrating, she made the wrong choices, but that's why she was such a great character. You could see exactly where her thoughts came from and why she thought what she did. I did get attached to her in the end and I only wanted the best for her.

There was also the theme of loneliness because Bree is lonely, despite outwardly having everything and I really liked these parts. This was another thing that made it so believable because it is such an accurate portrayal of teenage life.

There are also a few trigger warnings so if you are thinking about reading this then I encourage you to check them out if there are things that trigger you.

Rating:




The message of this book is powerful and I am glad I read it. This is a book that affected me and made me think too, which is always important. It proves that there is more to life than being popular and 'interesting'. I will definitely read more Holly Bourne in the future!



Let's chat!

What are you currently reading? Have you read this? What did you think? Do you think you would like it? Any recommendations for me?

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. Interesting review. I would be irritated with the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm not alone in finding these annoying! Good to hear you found this review interesting, it sure was interesting to write!

      Delete

Post a Comment