Random Ramble | Classics vs YA, School and YA Book Of The Month

 Hi Everyone!

Today I just wanted to chat to you about a few different things that I've been thinking about. This is a very random post but maybe you will find something to take away from it!



Most of you will know me as an avid reader who tends to read classics or YA contemporary, but of course there is a lot more to me than that. Books are a huge part of my life but there are a lot of other things I love doing as well. This ties into the idea of building an online personality, as in who you are portrayed as when online. 

Although I don't have social media, I still feel the pressures of being a certain way. I think that with this blog I've broken a few- not all teenagers are drug addicts who vandalise, wear excessive make-up and don't care about school. I will never touch drugs, I've never vandalised, I hate make-up and I care very much about school. I also love reading. 

At school, reading is very much a nerdy thing. A lot of people know I love reading, and this probably isn't helped by the fact that I keep my book in a 'lunchbox' along with my pencil case! But I don't think I care anymore: I've heard the question 'why do you keep a book in your lunchbox?' way too many times now! There's this one girl who says to me every history lesson 'Oh look! It's the lunchbox girl!', and I just have to laugh! Maybe my book box looks like a lunchbox, but I love it so much! 

Coming back to who I am online, I don't have much of an online presence. But I am still shown in a certain way on my blog. I am a teenager who reads classics and I don't want to appear like I am so amazing at reading that I can already read these books and that I am so mature that I already have the incentive to read them. Because I'm not. I don't always understand everything I read, big classics scare me and just last night my friends came round for a movie night and we were joking, laughing and taking mega close ups of each other, so I'm not exactly mature either.


I'm one of those people who enjoys being alone. When I'm in my room alone I can write on here,  I can read, I can watch booktube, I can edit a video, I can listen to music, I can just stare aimlessly at my bookshelves. And that makes me happy. 

Being with a lot of people is not something I always enjoy, but it being just me and my close friends chatting over a cosy Christmas movie was so nice, especially since my friendship group has expanded recently. And that makes me happy too.

But when I'm at school there are too many people. Too many people to judge you and look down at you. And that's when the comfort of my room comes in. The comfort I find in writing about books is just something I love so much, and I hope that shows in my blog.


It also seems to me that online, many of the BookTubers I watch either love classics or (very few) love YA. There are a few that do the middle ground but actually these aren't my favourites. Sometimes I think to myself, 'maybe you should just review classics or just review YA'. But I understand that many of you on here are either here for the classics or the YA and only a few will actually read my recommendations for both. 

I am constantly torn between classics and YA and I am a little scared that because of YA Book Of The Month, I will feel like I have to read YA and shouldn't read classics because they will take me longer and I need to finalise my YA Book Of The Month picks. I don't want to feel this way and I'm trying not to let it get to me. But I do need to read YA and I want to read YA but I also want to read classics and time is just going so fast at the moment, I won't get time to read everything! 

I don't want to read things just to review them, but I also want to be able to write about a range of books so it's about getting a balance.


I don't have many followers at all, so every one of you is special. Having you here means so much to me and although I don't blog for a number of followers, I do still care about my statistics. I read every comment and I am notified every time someone subscribes. I am always so happy when I get these messages and I feel like I am slowly building something I've always wanted.

I wouldn't want hundreds of thousands of followers because I think the pressure would really get to me, so it's also about being realistic and not biting off more than I can chew!


Now I just want to meet people. I would love to do author interviews, meet other bloggers, receive review copies of books and participate in book tours. This would of course be more YA centred but I do want to keep reading classics and taking you all along with me in my journey. I have signed up to a few book tour companies but I am yet to see anything I like the sound of, and most of them don't send physical review copies and I don't want to have to read on a laptop, seeing as I'm not sure how I would connect my kindle to the system and I can't read on kindle for school.


With my new YA Book Of The Month project, I am very excited but also quite nervous because I'm a little behind on deciding which book I'm putting forward for some of the months, but I shouldn't stress because I have January and February covered. I just need to get on with reading a few options (and buying some, but I seem to have spent all of my money on books).


School is also frustrating at the moment because I have quite a few assessments and exams, so I'm actually writing this as a reward for doing thirty minutes of revision! It's nearly the Christmas holidays though and I CAN'T WAIT! 

Another thing I just wanted to mention quickly is that I have so many posts that I want to come out soon but I am running out of days! I don't think I could keep up writing three posts a week so I'm not going to change the schedule, but just a note to say that some of the posts you will see may be from a few weeks ago!


It feels so nice to have written all this, so thank you so much for being here! I'm sorry it's another long post, but I hope you've found it interesting!

Merry Christmas 🎅


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. What a beautiful and thoughtful post Z! We are all so proud of you for being true to who you are and what you enjoy. When people are critical and mean, it's down to their insecurities and fears not yours, but that doesn't make it easy to deal with. You can never please everyone and it's not your job to try. That said, we look forward to your posts and it is always a great pleasure to read them. We love hearing what you think of books we know and finding out about books we hadn't heard of. You can never have too many books in your life. Keep reading, writing and smiling. You're doing a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment