5 books that...are perfect for Autumn ๐Ÿ‚

Hi Everyone!


5 Books That...is a feature on my blog where I talk about five books that have something in common or can be grouped together for a certain reason. I usually do about one a month but there is no fixed schedule. 


Welcome to this post where I'll be sharing 5 books that are perfect for Autumn! I am growing to love Autumn and these are books I associate with this season!

1. I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith

I think Autumn is all about cosiness and you can't get cosier writing than Dodie Smith! I read I Capture The Castle at the end of last summer and really loved it! It was so warm and comforting so this is perfect for Autumn! This is about Cassandra Mortmain who lives in an old castle with her eccentric father, elegant sister and stylish stepmother. But the arrival of two American brothers shakes up the foundations of her life. It is written in diary form and I just love her voice and perspective. Highly recommend!

2. Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

This is a book that is often recommended for either Spring or Autumn but I think it's perfect for Autumn because it will help you to appreciate the changing season. You can see my review for it here. It is a wonderful book that will leave you a better person and with a better outlook on the world. Anne is such a delightful character to follow and L.M. Montgomery's descriptions truly transported me to Avonlea and Green Gables!

3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontรซ

This is cheating a little because I haven't actually read it, but I've heard that November is the best month to read it! I've been wanting to read this ever since I finished Jane Eyre but I wanted to wait until November so hopefully this year I will get to this! I've heard it is a gothic novel with beautiful descriptions of the natural world and a landscape that feels like it's alive so I think this will be an ideal book for Autumn!

4. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

This is another creepy one because of course Autumn is also about the sinister, eerie and chilling vibes of Halloween! I read this back in May (review linked here) for the 1900-1950 readathon because it is a modern classic. I wrote in my review that "It is a chilling tale told from the perspective of an unknown narrator who meets a rich but widowed man called Maxim de Winter. They hastily marry and Maxim brings the narrator back to England and his home, a beautiful stately place called Manderley. But Manderley houses dark secrets, in the form of Maxim's first wife, Rebecca..."

5. In Darkling Wood by Emma Carroll

This is a book I read quite a while ago now, but really enjoyed at the time. Autumn is also a magical season and this is a book full of magic! It is a historical fiction book written from two perspectives. The first is Alice's, who gets news of something that could save her brother's life and is sent off to stay with her grandmother who she hasn't seen in years. The other is another girl but this time who awaits her brother's safe return from the frontline of WW1. Neither girl must give up hope for at the bottom of their garden is Darkling Wood. I think this is another great Autumnal read!



I hope you've enjoyed this post and that you'll maybe follow a few of these recommendations! Happy reading!


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. Hi Zoรซ! Thanks a lot for these suggestions. Rebecca and Wuthering Heights are of course some of my favourite novels. You’ll love Wuthering Heights, I’m sure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment