My Week In Books πŸ“š //summer diaries week 3: a literary walk, a production of Romeo and Juliet and a few quiet days at home!

 Hi Everyone! 

Welcome to my third week in books! I can't believe it's week 3 of the summer holidays already! This is my third post like this so make sure to check the others out! I am so excited for the next few weeks and I can't wait to share it all with you!

Monday 9th August

Today I had a day mostly at home but also went cycling for a few hours. I made quite a lot of progress in sense and sensibility over the weekend and I am now on page 175 which I think is 75 pages  more than when I updated you at the end of last week! I'm still loving it and particularly warming to Elinor. So much is happening and I'm even thinking it may overtake pride and prejudice! I also think because I didn't know anything apart from what the blurb says about this book, I am discovering it for myself which is very different to my experience with pride and prejudice! 

I am thinking of doing a 'How I annotated Sense and Sensibility' post once I finish it so if that's something you would like to see then please let me know in either the comments or contact form! 

Tuesday 10th August

This morning I went for a walk with my grandparents on the Quantocks which was really nice and then this afternoon I had to go to the dentist to get two teeth taken out! 

So not much reading during the day but I did read this morning and I am now 210 pages through sense and sensibility and I LOVE IT! I am so excited to continue it and I'm so glad I picked it up! 

Wednesday 11th August

This morning I went on a walk with my parents along the Coleridge way which is a beautiful walk inspired by where he used to walk with William Wordsworth. We also saw his house which is a national trust property. It was a lovely walk and I took along my copy of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poetry to read and take a photo with along the way. 

The book with the plaque on his house

The plaque close up


It's really inspired me and I can see why Coleridge and Wordsworth loved the walk so much. It was beautiful though very hilly! Reading his poetry where Coleridge either got his inspiration or wrote it was a great experience! 

I didn't read much sense and sensibility last night and only a little but this morning. I am now on page 228 which I think I still good and I'm still loving it so so much and I will probably get the clothbound because I still want to get all my favourite classics in clothbound! 

Thursday 12th August

Today I went on a bike ride all day and didn't read much but this morning I got to page 250 which was a good achievement as (in my edition) it is the start of part 3 which is the last one! I'm still really loving it and excessively annotating! :) I am excited to finish it and move onto something else but I am also going to be sad to say goodbye to these characters that feel like the 'most intimate friends' in true Jane Austen style! The whole regency feel is something I love and I long to be in that world. There is also starting to be some clear character development compared to the beginning of the novel and I'm just constantly being reminded of Jane Austen's genius and how someone can write in such a way that makes you so sure of something just to crush it pages later. I always get the feeling she knows exactly what she's doing and where the story is going. The characters interact with each other in the most natural way and I've had many giggles while reading this so far! 

Friday 13th August

Today is another fairly quiet day so I read a lot of Sense and Sensibility this morning in bed which was wonderful! So much happened! I am now on page 287 and 10 chapters from the end! It's all starting to come together (and fall apart) plot wise as well which is getting interesting! 

I've just been on a walk with my dad and we went through a field with a path through the middle of sweetcorn plants! It was very surreal! We then went through another beautiful field of corn so here are some photos!





I've also just watched the first two episodes of the BBC mini series of Jane Eyre which I am really enjoying. It's quite old fashioned but I love Jane Eyre so much and obviously it is miles behind the book but I do really like it! I got a box set of BrontΓ« dvds for my birthday with my grandparents and I'm slowly working my way through them, though I want to read all the books first!

Saturday 14th August

I wasn't really in the mood for Sense and Sensibility this morning for some reason which is frustrating because I really wanted to finish it by the end of this week and I can't really see that happening now. I still have just under 100 pages to read and it's unrealistic to read that in even two days, let alone one. It's just dragging a bit now but I was liking it. So I started This Is My Truth by Yasmin Rahman which I picked up on my week with my godmother in Wells. I think I will pick it back up once I finish Sense and Sensibility but I just wanted to still read something this morning and this seemed perfect. So far I love it as I was fully expecting to! 

I've just come back from another beautiful walk in my local countryside. It was again stunning and I feel so lucky to live in a place with so many paths to explore! 



This evening, I went to see Romeo and Juliet in an open air theatre at a local National Trust property. It was by a company called Three Inch Fools and was such a good performance; the actors were very creative. There was music as well with peculiar instruments and their voices made beautiful harmonies too. I knew a bit about Romeo and Juliet but this has definitely broadened my understanding of the play and it was a wonderful experience!  



Sunday 15th August

I'm just popping in quickly today to say that I read a few pages of Sense and Sensibility this morning and got to page 300! I was really hoping to finish it this week because I have so many other books that I want to read so badly! But it's been worth it because I love it! It's just lagging a bit now and I want to move on. I have 70 pages left so I will probably finish it next week! 

***

That's it for this week! I hope you're still enjoying these slightly different posts with more of an insight into all the bookish things I get up to! I highly recommend Sense and Sensibility and This Is My Truth and I can't wait to share more about them both next week!

Happy reading! 


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments