Days At The Morisaki Bookshop by Satoshi Yagisawa || Book Review

Hi Everyone!

This has been my favourite book of the year so far so I absolutely can't wait to share my thoughts with you all! Translated from Japanese, this is a moving and beautiful book that I definitely recommend!





Synopsis:

Hidden in Jimbocho, Tokyo, is a booklover's paradise. On a quiet corner in an old wooden building lies a shop filled with hundreds of second-hand books.

Twenty-five-year-old Takako has never liked reading, although the Morisaki bookshop has been in her family for three generations. It is the pride and joy of her uncle Satoru, who has devoted his life to the bookshop since his wife Momoko left him five years earlier.

When Takako's boyfriend reveals he's marrying someone else, she reluctantly accepts her eccentric uncle's offer to live rent-free in the tiny room above the shop. Hoping to nurse her broken heart in peace, Takako is surprised to encounter new worlds within the stacks of books lining the Morisaki bookshop.

As summer fades to autumn, Satoru and Takako discover they have more in common than they first thought. The Morisaki bookshop has something to teach them both about life, love, and the healing power of books.

One of my favourite things about this book was the setting. I could just picture the street of mismatched bookshops. The Morisaki bookshop with its crowded shelves and storeroom filled with book stacks from floor to ceiling. The Cafe, with big windows overlooking the street, and the table in the corner, maybe even with a certain someone sat reading. 

You get the idea - book lover heaven!

I also loved the characters, especially the main character and how vulnerable she appeared. I loved following her journey of healing, I loved watching her connecting with her uncle. 

I would say, however, that the writing style wasn't really for me. I think this is probably due to the fact it is translated and I don't want to hold that against the book, but it is something to be aware of if you are considering picking this one up. 

I really liked the length of this book, actually, it was just long enough to get to know the characters, but short enough that some questions were partly left unanswered, which I like. 

Can we also just take a moment to appreciate this cover? It is absolutely GORGEOUS - you can imagine why I picked it up when I saw it in the bookshop (well, the cover and the fact Jack Edwards had just spoken about it in a video!). 


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, and for being here once again. I hope you'll consider picking this one up, and definitely let me know if you've read it! Happy reading!


Have you read this book? Do you want to? Thoughts about translated books? What do you think about the setting of this book?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I received my prom dress and trying it on I felt like a princess! 

Comments