Top Ten Tuesday | 21st Century YA Books That Will Become Classics

Hi Everyone!

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is a topic that interests me a lot because I am a reader and lover of both Classics and YA and it combines the two, talking about YA books that will become classics. The original isn't about YA but I don't read much adult fiction so this felt more appropriate and some of them could be classed as adult anyway. 

YA is much more of a 'thing' than it was 20 years ago and so I think it's so exciting to think about where it will go in the future and what amazing books will be available to future teenagers and adult lovers of YA. These are books that I believe will become classics of YA (if that makes sense), if they aren't already considered classic YA books!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.


1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This is just absolutely classic YA. Most people have read this and for a very good reason! It's a book I didn't think I would love but ended up really liking. I am not a fan of The Ballad Of Songbirds And Snakes though - I'm reading it in school at the moment and it just feels like they wanted to make more money out of this epic book. It goes on for far too long and I really don't like it! The original Hunger Games is fantastic though and I hope young people will continue to read it and love it for generations to come.

2. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Another fantastic book - a true classic of YA romance. This wasn't a favourite for me sadly, I found the whole part with the author a bit too strange but I do think it is a very special and important book in the YA world, even if the everyone has probably moved on from John Green. I mean, we are in 2022 now! It may be a little outdated but the strong message still stands and it is such a staple piece of YA literature. 

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I've mentioned this so much on Top Ten Tuesday posts recently and it could be classed as adult fiction too but I did find it in a YA section so I guess it could be both. This is such a heart-breaking read and one that definitely stayed with me. This is such an important book and I can totally see it being a YA classic.

4. One Of Us Is Lying by Karen. M. McManus

This has become quite a famous YA murder mystery and I really liked it when I read it and I've enjoyed Karen. M. McManus' books since too, although I don't think any of them quite top the original. There is a Netflix show too of course, but I am yet to watch it so let me know if it's worth it! This is a book that feels so unique to read and is something I hope many more readers can enjoy!

5. Noughts And Crosses by Malorie Blackman

Already this is such a classic of YA. This book...it's just fantastic and I'm sure it will be known as a must read for any young adults (and adults too of course!). Sephy and Callum's story has captured so many hearts all over the world, including mine! It just makes my heart ache every time I think about it. If you have not read this and are a YA reader then you HAVE to change that. 

6. The Tattooist Of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

Similar to The Book Theif, this is sometimes considered adult fiction but I found it in the YA section. It is as you can probably guess a historical fiction book set in Auschwitz. It is just so powerful and the sequel is equally so. They are just such valuable books to have and learn from. I hope that generations of young adult readers can discover this story and learn from it. Sometimes (okay a lot of the time) I wish that certain people could read this book so that they can learn from it. I think enough has been said, basically a lot of people need to read this.

7. Elizabeth Acevedo books (in general)

Elizabeth Acevedo is one of my favourite YA authors and I just think she deserves so much. Her books often tackle tough themes beautifully but also have this comforting vibe and are so diverse and very accessible. Some of them are told in verse which is just stunning too and I can't recommend her enough. I truly hope her books are recognised for what they are.

8. Heartstopper by Alice Oseman

This is just the best bundle of queer joy ever created in YA. Please don't let the graphic novel format put you off too because it almost put me off and I am SO GLAD that I read this. It just makes me so happy and THE TV SHOW COMES OUT APRIL 22nd!!! This is about Nick and Charlie and all their friends and so much more. Similar to Elizabeth Acevedo, Alice tackles some very difficult themes with such a delicate touch and portrays a supportive teenage relationship which is much needed in YA. All Alice's books are destined to be forever part of the YA canon and I just want EVERYONE to read this, you won't regret it! 

In fact, if you're having a bad day this is your sign to order it or even better pop into your local independent bookshop and if they don't have it order it through them. You can read it online too but the physical copy just can't be beaten. I recommend webtoon if you want to read it online. And for information, they get a million times better as they go on!

It would be a crime for this not to become a classic!

9. Six Of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

I haven't read this but I see it everywhere and from what I can see it should become a classic. I am really hoping to read this soon, and although I'm not a huge fantasy reader I'm excited to get to this one! I can definitely see people reading this for years to come!

10. A Good Girl's Guide To Murder by Holly Jackson

This I think could swing either way. It is very popular now but the last book caused a bit of a split with people either loving it or hating it. I felt very confused about it but I would love to know your (spoiler free please) thoughts on As Good As Dead in the comments. Other than that it is such a wonderful murder mystery that will hopefully be enjoyed by generations to come!


If all these become classics, future YA readers will have their work cut out for them! All of these are already big parts of YA and I can't recommend the nine I've read enough. I'm really looking forward to Six Of Crows and I'm sure you'll hear all about that when I do read it. 

I hope you are all okay and if not then use Heartstopper as therapy, it works: trust me! 

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to be here with me, it truly means so much.



Have you read any of these? Do you want to? Any (spoiler free) thoughts on As Good As Dead? Did any of these feature on your TTT? Link it below and I'll check it out if I haven't already!  


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. The Book Thief is a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and such a popular one this week!

      Delete
  2. HEARTSTOPPER, I am obsessed! I cannot wait for the TV show to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There no doubt that The Hunger Games will be a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, it's already a staple piece of YA!

      Delete
  4. The Book Thief and The Hunger Games have been so popular this week (and I can definitely understand why, they're favourites of mine too!). Noughts and Crosses is such a good shout, it was one of my first YA books and has stuck with me for many years. Six of Crows is also a favourite of mine, and I really enjoyed A Good Girl's Guide To Murder, though have yet to read the subsequent books. To be honest, I was a little sceptical when I saw it had sequels as I thought the story was pretty good as a standalone, but I will reserve judgement till after I read the sequels.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/03/29/top-ten-tuesday-361/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noughts and crosses definitely sticks with you, and i haven't seen it on many people's lists surprisingly! A good girls guide to murder is just fantastic, Good Girl Bad Blood is a fantastic sequel but As Good As Dead is very controversial, I would read it just so I can read the spoilery reviews and discuss it! And all of the posts I've seen and comments about Six Of Crows are making me even more excited to read it!!! I'll check out your TTT later!

      Delete
  5. I'm older than the hills, so it may not surprise you that there weren't many YA books around when I was a teen. I wish there had been. Kids today are so lucky to have so many great YA books to choose from and in so many different genres. So awesome!

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, and as a young person myself I appreciate the amount of YA literature on offer. There is definitely a YA book for everyone! I also love classics though of course ;)

      Delete
  6. I've read the first 4 and then Six of Crows. They will for sure be classics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many great choices here. I didn't put any of her books on my list this week but I completely agree about Elizabeth Acevedo. Such gorgeous writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so obsessed with her- she's amazing! I recently read With The Fire On High and it completely blew me away!

      Delete
  8. Hi Zoe! Love the signature, it's gorgeous!

    Six of Crows yes!! That book is genre defying and I think it deserves to become a classic. The Book Thief is a popular and will deserved choice this week.

    I am so sorry I only reply so late, our internet has been down the last 3 days.

    Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! "Genre defying" - I really do have to read this book! Having the internet down is always so frustrating from a blogging and personal point of view, it can be a good opportunity too though, and makes you realise how dependent we are on it! ! This week has been a little stressful with school, but I got a day off today so that's nice. Thank you so much for your support Elza!

      Delete
  9. I agree with these! I think they'll all stick around for a long time. I need to read One Of Us Is Lying and see what the hype is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Of Us Is Lying is definitely worth a read - although as I am a British reader, I don't always get all the references to American traditions- I do learn a lot though! Karen. M. McManus' writing is very gripping in my opinion, although I didn't like her later books as much as One Of Us Is Lying!

      Delete
  10. I sure enjoyed Six of Crows and love that you added it to this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear so many people love it - I need to read it!

      Delete

Post a Comment