Random Ramble || gaining confidence, working at a sailing club and some reflections //summer 2022

Hi Everyone!

At the start of the summer, I wrote a post about how this summer I was stepping out of my comfort zone and working in a sailing club this summer. At the time of writing I am almost at the end of my last week and so I wanted to take this time to reflect on what I've done, what I've enjoyed and talk to you about how my confidence has grown. 

Background image: taken by me on my bike ride to work.


I started my first week over three weeks ago now, and honestly looking back on it now I can see how far I've come. It's the small things that I didn't know how to do or wasn't sure about how to say or where something was that has all changed now, after almost four weeks of working there. 

For the first week, I was helping in a course for ages 10-12 on size 12 catamarans. This was a good place to start for me as this is a boat I am familiar with and I was at least confident in the boat side of things. The instructor I was working with was really nice and I basically spent my week racing around the bay on the motor boat and helping the students. It was such a good week, especially because we had very little students (4 in one class and 5 in the other) so it was an easier job for us too. 

The second week was my least favourite by a fair way! I was with one of the younger classes, ages 6-7, who do a variety of boats over the week. There were 14 of them in each class, which is a lot, and they can't do much so it was really down to us to supervise them a lot, a big change compared to the 10-12 year olds!! I also didn't have as nice instructors to work with and was put on a big catamaran with four children for the entire day with a lot of wind and told I was not allowed to capsize, and there would be big trouble if I did. All the children were very scared and it was not a pleasant experience for me either! 

The third week was a big learning week! I was with a teenage/adult beginner windsurfing class. I have never windsurfed in my life, so I was basically learning along with the students, but I am so glad I did it. The instructor was so lovely and although it wasn't the best week weather wise, I had a fantastic week! 

After three weeks of sailing courses, I decided I would like to try something new. The centre have a hire "SPOT" on the beach, where people can hire equipment and get private lessons. I asked to spend a week there, and they said yes! It has been another big learning week so far, but I'm really enjoying it! 

The hire centre



As you can see, I've had four very different weeks, and I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learnt. From how to tie knots, to greeting customers, to driving a motor boat - it's been absolutely fantastic! 

Something I knew I would work on this summer was my confidence. I wouldn't say I'm an unconfident person generally but this, as I mention in my start of summer post, was something that was scary for me to do, and way out of my comfort zone. But I am so, so glad that I have done this. If there is something that you think will challenge you and that you are a bit scared of doing, then this is your sign to do it now. 

The social side is also a big part of life at the sailing club. The instructors are (pretty much) all friends and have parties nearly every night and drink and smoke....that whole part of it was something very daunting to me. I am still very young and parties don't really appeal to me. I am too young to drink and smoking disgusts me. However, I have met some nice people, and I even plucked up the courage to go to the "punch cup". You may be able to guess what that was! 

I really feel as if I've got more confident this summer. This week I am talking to customers, handing them life jackets, explaining about the boundaries, finding the right size wetsuit and answering their questions. I am sure that me doing that at the start of the summer would be very different to doing it now. 

It's also the small things. For example, I finish at 12 at the hire center and the normal lessons finish at 12:30. I go back to the main centre up the road to eat and I have half an hour gap when I am practically alone in the dining room before all the other instructors come in at 12:30. At the beginning of the summer, I was worried to even sit down at a table, let alone when no-one else is there and I'm sat in this room by myself. But I can happily say that I sit at a table on my own for that half hour and eat my lunch, without even the distraction of my phone. Sometimes the small victories are the ones that feel the biggest. 

So many things have made me happy this summer and I found so many things to be grateful for. My bike ride to work every morning was stunning and getting to drive boats around a beautiful bay in the sun was such a privilege. I am so grateful for this opportunity.

My bike ride to work included this view, as well as the one in the main graphic above....



I have also met so many incredible people over the last 4 weeks. I don't know how many of them I will see again, but I think a few of them were motivated to come back next year so we'll see! 

I think doing this has been such an invaluable experience. Not only have I learnt so much and grown as a person with regards to confidence and dealing with customers etc, I have also had an amazing summer, and it's one I think I'll always remember. 



I maybe haven't read as much as I'd have liked too, but that's okay and what I have read has been good. I'm really trying not to put pressure on myself. I also haven't been as motivated to read classics, but I'm hoping to pick some up in the Autumn, especially with Victober coming up (I'M EXCITED). Autumn also for some reason makes me want to read classics. There's something about curling up by the fire with a classic while it's blowing a gale outside that makes me happy and I can't wait to do just that this Autumn. 

I've hesitated a lot about what to post this week, and I currently have a lot of drafts, which is quite overwhelming! But I've enjoyed writing this post, and I think that's really important, regardless of how many people enjoy reading it, let alone how many actually read it and get to the end! I truly can't thank you enough for being here and taking the time to read this. Have a lovely day.



What have you been up to this summer? What do you think of my summer? Any good books?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

Lucy Powrie who is the author of my favourite books (or at least the ones that mean the most to me) in the world, posted a YouTube video again, after a whole year of not posting. I love her channel to absolute bits and hearing her voice talking about something new was just fantastic! 

Comments

  1. I love the photos. It sounds like an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really was a wonderful experience!!

      Delete
  2. Working at the sailing club sounds amazing! I am also so happy that Lucy Powrie posted again, and rereading her books is top of my to-read list right now - they are such a comfort, especially at the start of the school year for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I definitely want to reread the series, especially the third one because I don't know if as well!! I feel the same, especially read with pride is reasonably academic and it feels nice to romanticise what school is like!! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and comment!!

      Delete

Post a Comment