The Raid by Leo Tolstoy | Short Story Review & Quotes

 Hi Everyone!

One of the classics I want to read in 2022 is The Death Of Ivan Ilyich and Other Stories by Leo Tolstoy. This is a collection of short stories that I bought last summer but never got round to reading. I finally got to read The Raid, the first story in this collection.

I don't want to give a synopsis because it is only thirty pages long so I think it's better to go in pretty blind!

 


I loved this so much! It was the perfect length and it kept me interested all the way, I definitely didn't want to stop reading! I didn't find the language hard at all and the parts where it talks about bravery and so much more, just left me feeling very reflective and it may seem an exaggeration but I feel like I'm a better person coming out of it! 

The descriptions, the descriptions, the descriptions...I had to reread them to assure myself that what I was reading was real. They were so beautiful and yet beautiful doesn't even seem to cover it. You wouldn't think there would be many descriptions of the natural world bearing in mind it is a story of war, but there were many stunning, captivating descriptions of the mountains, the forests...



The quotes were something else entirely. So to make this review a little longer (because I love long posts haha), I thought it would be nice to share some quotes. You can thank me later!


In making this image, I thought about using a heavily edited internet picture as the background with an azure blue waterfall and trees of a too vibrant neon green. But then I reflected on what this quote means. The end phrase about nature being spontaneous made me change my mind and use this picture instead. This is an unedited picture from my walk to the bus stop which I do every morning on my way to school. As I walked through the churchyard, there was this beautiful golden light, shining over the dewy grass and gravestones. It was a beautiful moment and it really made my day. A picture can never capture it entirely and when it was on my phone before going through an editing software to put text over it, it was even more golden so in that way it has been edited! 



This one is the end of one of the discussions on bravery. I love these ideas and for some reason this image seemed strangely appropriate?!


This one really resonated with me because it reminds me of people at school. The way they suffer to appear 'beautiful' and yet I hear all the time "so-and-so is alright, but so-and-so is prettier" or "what are so-and-so's eyelashes today? What were they thinking!". I just have to laugh because it's so ridiculous, but at the same time I have to think about the amount of time some people put in every morning and everyone else will never see them the way they want to be seen. 

All these quotes I just adore and I want to engrave them in my brain forever! 




This story was phenomenal and I'm so glad I read it! Thank you so much for joining me in another post!

 Happy Reading! 📚


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments