In Appreciation Of Independent Bookshops | what makes a good independent so special

 Hi Everyone!

If you receive any money for Christmas that you want to spend on books, why not spend it in an independent bookshop? I've never really had a good independent bookshop near me, so of course I was very excited when one opened in my local town! 



I usually go to Waterstones, just because I don't really have another bookshop near me. And don't get me wrong: I love Waterstones a lot! I'm sure you will agree that it does feel like an independent with the handwritten notes under certain books, the tables of carefully chosen picks and cosy atmosphere. But I have found a few problems with it and other shops of it's kind. 

Firstly, they have so much other junk you can buy in them! Most of them are plastic toys that young children like, Harry Potter merchandise (which could be counted as book related but it's usually done a little overboard) or notebooks, pens and stationary. This is a difference between independent bookshops and the chains because most independents won't have much else apart from books. I'm not saying this is always the case, but they have a much more curated selection of things for sale, like any independent shop.

Secondly, there is almost too much choice. Waterstones is just packed full of books and this is a great thing, except when you want to just pick something up in your favourite genre and see what you get. I'm sure there are always wonderful books on the shelves, but there is just so much to choose from and it can be hard to know where to start. In an independent, the books on the shelves are just a selection, and you are not guaranteed to find something specific. I like the idea of just walking in and seeing what catches your eye, whereas in Waterstones, I walk in with a list of ideas, otherwise I would be there forever!

The booksellers in independent bookshops are often the owners or carefully chosen employees as they usually can't afford to employ many people and have to be able to trust them because they will loose out otherwise, especially if it is a smaller shop. This means they may be able to give you recommendations and talk to you more, in chains it tends to depend on who you fall on and although they obviously like reading, it's more about knowing where books are in the shop and being able to use the till!


There's something very special about a good independent bookshop: it may be the welcoming atmosphere, it may be the specifically curated selection, or the way you can get to know the bookseller... It feels so homely and calm, whereas the chains can sometimes feel very commercial.

I would be very interested to know what makes your local independent bookshop so special, or if you have one at all. 


I am so excited to finally have an independent bookshop near me and I can't wait to go back on another visit! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! 


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. I am also super lucky to have an independent bookshop near me. I always find that Waterstones is good if I have a specific book in mind, whereas I could spend hours browsing for new authors in the smaller bookshops.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment