Classic Book Review: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

 Hi Everyone!

This is a book  I will be studying for my GCSEs next year so I thought I would read it beforehand for fun, so I don't have to read it very slowly and analyse every minute detail. 



I'm sure you all know that this is the story of Scrooge, who on Christmas Eve is visited by three ghosts: the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future. It is a short story so that is about it! 


Firstly, what an ending! It was so effortlessly joyous and left me grinning! This whole book is just exactly what Christmas is about, and I think anyone who has read it can agree. It is so interesting historically because in the Victorian era, ghost stories were associated with Christmas, whereas now it is a Halloween thing, hence why this is a ghost story. 

I appreciated how short it was too, and I didn't find it as hard as Dickens' other novels. It is so beautifully written and I can see why it is on the GCSE syllabus: there is a lot to unpack in it! Some of this I did think about but I'm sure when I read it with my class I will find more and my teacher will explain more of the historical references. 

This is one of the most famous Christmas stories and I can totally see why. Some of the scenes will stay with me and even if I thought I wasn't going to annotate it because I will be studying it next year, I did end up putting a few tabs in to mark pages I just couldn't resist! The beginning especially was very funny and there were so many quotes throughout that continue to amaze me.

To many people this is Dickens' best novel; I don't see myself fit to judge seeing as I've only read Great Expectations and Oliver Twist but without a doubt it is very well-written and a masterful work.


On BookTube, there was a readalong of this as part of the Dickens Vs Tolstoy Debate hosted by two of my favourite booktubers Carolyn and Emma from their channels Carolyn Marie Reads and * e m m i e *. They will have a live show on Emma's channel at the end of the month discussing it, which I will definitely watch!

There was also a readalong hosted by Katie from her channel Books and Things. She has discussions about each stave on her channel. Charles Dickens is her favourite author and I have really enjoyed listening to her thoughts and ideas.

I didn't read it just for these but it has been really nice to hear other people's thoughts, especially theirs because I really look up to all of them.


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I'll be back soon!

Merry Christmas 🎅


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments