MY NEW BOOKSHELF | saying goodbye to my first ever bookshelf and how I organise my books

 Hi Everyone! 

I've been running out of room for books for a long time and I finally got a new bookshelf! I had three shelves: my first bookshelf full of contemporary and non-fiction, an IKEA unit full of classics and the top of the IKEA unit with my French books on because I'm half French. This was fine until I got way too many books and started having a stack of them on my first bookshelf! It was also starting to be a bit babyish and I wanted something bigger. This is the process and finished result of my bookshelf reorganisation! Enjoy!

Step 1: removal of books from bookshelves

I'm calling my first bookshelf bookshelf 1 for obvious reasons and the first step was to remove all the books from this shelf and bookshelf 2 which had my classics on. I had to say goodbye to this bookshelf and that was really sad because I've had it for so long! I ended up taking rather a lot of photos too! 


my old bookshelf empty...

Step 2: putting my contemporary on bookshelf 2

I basically swapped my classics and contemporary around so my contemporary books are now where my classics were. I think the space works out well, it was a little tight but if I move things around I should be able to keep it like this for a while! I love how it turned out but one thing I didn't anticipate how much non-fiction I have! I definitely need to feature it more on this blog!

Step 3: building my new bookshelf!

I helped my dad to build my new shelf. It is from IKEA and is just a plain white bookcase. It has four shelves and I think it works with the space I have really well. I learnt how to put it together which was fun too!

Step 4: putting my classics on the new bookshelf (the best bit)

This was honestly so amazing to do! I love reorganising my books so much and this was a challenge because I have A LOT of books and A LOT of space I hadn't previously had but I had a lot of fun working out where I wanted everything. 

Finally, here is THE FINISHED RESULT: 


The top shelf has my Penguin English Library collection, which is now at 24. Then is more collections so my two penguin Clothbounds, my penguin black spines and my two Pan Macmillan classics. Then we have a lot more books, organized in rough time order and by author. Lastly, on the bottom shelf is my childrens' classics and my Agatha Christie books because they wouldn't fit above! I have so much more room and I love having decorations too, such as my house plant on the top and some of my prints dotted around. 

As you can see, I organise my books first by genre and then by edition or author within that. It's a way that looks great, keeps my bookish self happy by having books by the same author together and I just love it! I also took this opportunity to count my classics and I have...103! It's a lot but I love them all so much! It always looks so much less than it is!


Anyway, thank you so much for reading this all about my recent bookshelf reorganisation! I'll be back with Victober content soon! 

Happy reading!

 Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments