The Hunger Games: a very surprising read 😲

 Hi everyone!

This is actually one of my final book review posts before the summer because I'm then moving into a primarily once a week schedule with slightly different posts which I will detail more in the first week of my school holidays!

I recently (ish) went to Waterstones with a friend who literally wouldn't let me leave without this book! It's NOTHING like what I would usually read and if you've read much of my blog before you'll know I don't read much fantasy or science fiction or anything like that BUT I LOVED THIS!

If you don't know, this is about Katniss Everdeen who lives in an alternate world where every year two people from each 'district' have to take part in a game- The Hunger Games.  But when her sister is volunteered, she steps up to take her place. She is thrust into an arena where she has to fight for her life -literally, because there is only one rule: kill or be killed. 

I don't really enjoy long fight scenes but this kept me entertained and was very emotional. I got very attached to Katniss and Peeta and their world. Katniss felt very real and human which is something that I often miss in fantasy/dystopian books (or basically anything unrealistic) because the characters are almost always somewhere between the ages of 10 and 16 but seem to know a bit to much about how to fight and survive in the wild. For Katniss, it makes sense that she knows some things because of the way she has grown up but she stays well clear of things she hasn't learnt to do or use yet and doesn't magically know how to use a weapon after a few tries.

Overall, I was not expecting to love this as much as I did and I promptly messaged my friend to thank her for being very persuasive!

I am also very excited for the continuation of the trilogy, so expect mention of them on my blog very soon! 


 Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments