The 1900-1950 Readathon// ranking all the books i read

 Hi Everyone!

In this post I want to rank all the 1900-1950 readathon books I read. You're probably all sick of me posting about this now so this is most definitely the last of these posts. I really want to compare them and decide on a ranking. This shouldn't be too hard as I already have a rough idea of the order. I had a great month of reading modern classics and I can't wait to read more from some of these authors!

I've made a category with all of the individual posts about these, including my TBR so make sure to check that out! You can find it by clicking categories- 1900-1950 readathon. You can find this at the top under the Zbestbooks, if  you are on a mobile, you will need to select the drop down menu currently on 'home'. 

 6. Animal Farm by George Orwell

As I mention in my post, this is a very important work of literature but for enjoyment and entertainment it just didn't work for me. I liked it and it was fine but I can't see myself re-reading it for a while. This was a fast and light read but just not for me.

5. Dead Man's Folly by Agatha Christie

This was great but not my favourite Agatha Christie. I think it is just one of her average novels and that's fine by me because Agatha Christie's average is amazing! But I did guess the murderer and part of their story, which was disappointing but it was a fun read. 

4. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

This, as I mention in my post about it, was very interesting as I knew very little about this lifestyle and so found it very new. I am excited to study it next year, but I'm definitely glad I read it before. I will also consider getting more John Steinbeck books in the future!

3. Women Who Did - various authors

Kicking off the top three I just had to include Women Who Did. I've talked ALOT about this now but I loved this. I am now a bit obsessed with the suffragettes and this was so thought provoking and I've already said this but there will be more posts about this!

2. Letters To A Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke

This book could well have been my top choice but it was beaten by very little! If you need life advice, I hand you Rilke. Please read this if you haven't already! I don't know what I can say to do this justice but I highly, highly recommend it.

1. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

That ending, that ending, that ending...If you've read this book you'll know what I mean! I just started saying 'no, no I need more!'. This was a wild ride of a book and I loved every second. Manderley is so beautifully described and the whole book is creepy, chilling but also stunning! I am certainly going to look for more DuMaurier! 


Thinking about the prompts for the readathon, I completed all the ones I was intending to and the bonus! I basically swapped Anne Of Green Gables with Rilke but apart from that, I stuck to my TBR. 

Challenge 1 was to read a book published in the country you are from which I completed with Animal Farm and Rebecca. Challenge 2 was to read a book published from a different country and I completed this with Letters To A Young Poet and Of Mice and Men. Challenge 3 was to read a genre classic which was Dead Man's Folly as it is classic crime. Challenge 4 was to read something that isn't a novel and that was Women Who Did. I didn't complete prompt 5 (to read something surrounding WW1 or WW2), mainly because I had no idea what to read and I didn't have anything on my shelves that fitted it. 

The bonus was to read something from every decade. One of the short stories was written in the 1900s and another in the 1910s which may be cheating but I'm counting it! Letters To A Young Poet was first published in 1929, which covers the 1920s. Of Mice and Men was published in 1937, Rebecca in 1938 and Animal Farm in 1945. I even had an extra decade with Dead Man's Folly in 1956! 

Overall, it was a very successful readathon and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Happy reading! :)

Comments