The 1900-1950 Readathon: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

 Hi Everyone!

I am here with yet another 1900-1950 readathon post- it's nearly the end of them, promise! This is a book I am studying next year but I wanted to read ahead so I could enjoy it more. This fitted the prompt to read from another country for the readathon so that was great! 

I did enjoy it but not as much as some of the other 1900-1950 books. I thought it was a very interesting and got fairly attached to the characters. I think it is gripping and a really fascinating piece of literature and I didn't know much about America at this time and that whole lifestyle. 

This is about George and Lennie who are searching for work. They find some on a farm where they meet their workmates. Lennie is a bit mentally disabled and struggles with social situations and how to behave. This is the main source of their mishaps!

As I have already said, this was a very engrossing read historically as this era wasn't too long ago and yet it was so different. There are racist comments made too which adds another layer of historical interest for me. I highly recommend it!

I think this will be a good book to study next year for all the reasons mentioned above and I also think having read it before is good because I know what to expect and have had the element of enjoyment that I may miss in studying it. 

Thank you so much for reading this and I'll be back soon! 



Comments