The 1900-1950 readathon: Some Short Stories I read

 Hi Everyone, 

Welcome to another 1900-1950 readathon post. This time, I want to share the short stories I read as part of the prompt to read something that isn't a novel written between 1900-1950. I recently got a collection of short stories that I've talked about in other posts called Women Who Did all about the topic of the 'new woman'. You can read more about it in my post about The Yellow Drawing Room by Mona Caird

For this prompt I ended up reading three short stories which I will share with you all now. My favourite was by far Filling The War Chest by Evelyn Sharp and my least favourite probably The Game That Wasn't Cricket.

Leves Amores by Katherine Mansfield (1907)

This was VERY short and by that I mean literally one page but it conveyed a very interesting message. I really can't say much at all as there isn't much story and I think it's better to go into it without knowing too much. This packed a punch and left me thinking, which was exactly what I wanted.

Filling The War Chest by Evelyn Sharp (1910)

This was my favourite for several reasons. Firstly, it definately transported me back to the era and secondly, it explored quite a few themes including how we view others, which was very interesting. I enjoyed the whole narrative and the descriptions were beautiful. I loved it so much!

The Game That Wasn't Cricket by Evelyn Sharp (1910)

This intrigued me more than anything. It strongly evokes the differences between what a boy and a girl are expected to do and I liked exploring that aspect. It just didn't grip me as much as the others and I think that's okay. I still definately recommend it as it is very interesting.


I think this book is a whole treasure chest of stories and provides a wonderful insight to this era of change. I think the best way to read this is by dipping in and out and that's what I intend to do so expect more short story reviews soon!



Comments