I've Stopped Caring About How Many Books I've Read.

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to a little reflection post! I know I've been very irregular with my posting recently (i think the algorithm hates me lol) but to anyone still reading this, hi, I'm still here but I've stopped caring about how many books I've read. Here's why.




Let's start right at the beginning. 2020. I can't be the only one whose life is firmly split into two distinct categories: pre-pandemic and post-pandemic so this seems a fitting place to start. 

At the beginning of the COVID lockdowns, I was 11, had just started secondary school and was about to get my first mobile phone. Lockdown days were spent doing schoolwork, going on daily local walks and video calling with friends I'd only really known for six months. There wasn't much to do, and seeing as I'd only just got a phone, I ended up spending a lot of time on YouTube. It was there that I discovered the whole community online of people just like me. Introverted book nerds. Yep, cool. I felt like I'd cracked the "find your people" mantra that I'd read about in cheesy middle grade and young adults books my whole life. 

But there was one major difference between the influencers online and lonely little lockdown me reading in my bedroom. They had all read hundreds of books. Literal hundreds, that year alone. And yes, I loved reading, but there was no way I had read that many.

Then began this ridiculous pressure to read for a number. Read for a statistic. 50 books a year was always my target. A book a week, give or take. And for the last few years I've tried so hard to reach that goal, and unsurprisingly succeeded, turns out it's not that hard to read 75 short stories. Okay, I'm kidding. But, seriously. I took the time to read classics and YA but also made sure to fill my TBR with poetry collections and graphic novel rereads, just to reach that golden number.

Then in comes 2023. What a year! I've travelled so much, I've met so many new people, I really feel like I've grown a lot this year. But how many books have I read, I hear you ask? Well, the truth is that I have absolutely no idea. I am completely incapable of an exact statistic. I've reread books, I've read non-fiction, I've read classics, I've read YA, I've read miscellaneous books found in charity shops....But for the most part, I've loved it. I've read books this year that I literally can't stop thinking about. From Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo to One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston to Emma by Jane Austen, I've read such a variety of books. And it's been such a joy.

So when someone asks me how many books I read in 2023, I say "enough to know the number doesn't matter". And I invite you to do the same.


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post and I truly hope you are all well. Sending hugs from afar <3 I wish you a very merry Christmas if you celebrate!


What was one of the most impactful books you read this year? Any random thoughts also welcome <3


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I just came back from my school ski trip to Austria. It was the most intense but incredible week, full of surprisingly meaningful conversations and insane views and moments on the slopes. We had a 24 hour bus journey there and back, but I sat next to someone who has quickly become one of my best friends at school, and we listened to good music, laughed so much, reflected on our week and had such a crazy 24 hours haha. 

Also a little reflection from my week....

I ended up sharing a room with three girls I'd never really spoken to and one of my best friends. The three other girls are quite popular around school and people I didn't have much in common with. But every evening we had the most wonderful moments of meaningful conversation, conversations I never thought would be possible with these people. We talked about so much and it really surprised me and definitely reminded me to never judge people by how they choose to present themselves and who their friends are. I invite you to do the same!

Comments

  1. I don't count how many books I read either but if I have to, I'll just go review my blog because I pretty much post the books I read. I suppose stats are good for those who use them, like some booktubers who likes to talk about stats.

    For a student, you sure do a lot of traveling. I never got that chance and I suppose it's why I'm more of a couch potato now but I like hearing about other people's travels. I can't imagine a 24-hour bus ride with other children. I think I would go mad somewhere in the first ten hours.

    Have a lovely season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I will do this year when I share my favourite books too, it is now my only record of what books I have read. I agree that stats are good, just not the be all and end all of reading as a hobby! I am very fortunate to have a lot of opportunities to travel! The 24 hours on a coach definitely was not all rosy haha and we did all go a bit mad, but it was good fun and a great experience! Thank you so much for checking in!

      Delete

Post a Comment