Spring Journal Entry || at peace with nature and Emily Bronte

Hi Everyone!

Spring is all about new starts, new challenges and new opportunities. I want to make it part of my blog too and as Spring is probably my favourite season, I'm very excited to share some of the things I'll get up to. I want to keep this space fresh and full of new ideas, I want to challenge myself to come up with them and post things that I love, without always questioning what people will think. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.

So that's what I'm doing with this post. I'm taking a leap of faith in the spirit of the new season and writing a more informal post, similar to my Random Rambles. It may be a long one so grab yourself a warm drink and cosy up with me to chat about taking time for yourself, spring and books.

With how busy our lives are, we often forget to take some time just for us. For anyone who reads my blog, your alone time will probably be spent with your head buried in a book! I spend a lot of time alone in my room either reading, blogging or doing homework and revision. This is all 'alone time', but it is spent on a laptop, my phone, or at least with them to hand. My mind is also still active when I'm working or blogging, whereas reading is that switch off. I think part of the reason I like reading early in the morning when I first wake up is because my phone and the laptop are switched off and it's that time just between me and my book. It's a special time just for myself. There is no pressure of people watching, of people judging or anyone interrupting. If I start laughing or crying at my book then that's okay and no-one will think it's strange! 

I think as a teenager, time away from screens is so important. It's so sad that whenever I meet up with friends, we spend half the time with our nose inches away from our phones or taking goofy pictures of each other. I'm not saying doing either of these is bad all the time, it's just that a few years ago when none of us had phones, it would have been very different. 

I think one of the ways I can take time for myself that isn't reading, is when I'm outside. Either I go on a walk, I watch my bees flying in and out of the hive, or I just take a moment in a break from blogging and look out the window. I grab a drink of water and take in the swaying trees, the sheep plodding about the field or the movement of the clouds. Those minutes are precious and I have to remind myself to take them. 

I found this image on pexels and it really inspired me. If I could climb onto a branch over a calm river with a cosy book, I think I would be satisfied! I'm pretty sure it's now added to my mental bucket list! 

I think at some point when I go on a walk, I'll need to take a book with me and sit on a bench somewhere in a field and read...doesn't that sound glorious?

I couldn't resist the beautiful sunshine out today so I climbed up my favourite tree. With a book. I had somewhat mastered climbing the tree (although I am bigger than I was when I first did - I would have been nine!) but climbing whilst gripping onto my book was a whole new challenge. I embraced the spirit of the day and balanced my book in the tree whilst I climbed for a bit. Then I moved it and climbed some more. It worked but not without causing me huge anxiety towards the welfare of my book. I got to the branch I wanted and took some photos, read a bit...It was glorious as predicted and it's something I hope to do again. 

Here I am reading The Complete Poems of Emily Bronte which I love so much - it's one of my favourite books and I dive into it almost daily. You can therefore see why it falling out of a tree would be a complete disaster! Somehow though, I think Emily Bronte would approve of reading her poems alone up a tree!

This is one of the less precarious places I put the book, so I took a photo of it. It made me laugh for some reason! I also took some photos for another post, which was also lovely.

Doing all this made me feel so at peace with nature, and at peace with myself. I felt like everything would be okay. The world can be a very scary place, especially at the moment and taking the time to just be is more important than ever.

Emily Bronte's poems may have contributed to this at peace feeling. Her words just have this power over me and she's just an incredible writer.

I have been enjoying reading the Bronte's letters recently too. I got The Brontes: A Life In Letters by Juliet Barker for Christmas and it's been so comforting to just take my time reading a few letters here and there. During half term, I read a few in the morning as I had more time to do so. I adore learning about their lives! I just want to know all about the people they met, the places they went, the experiences they had and all the boring day to day stuff! It's something I'm very passionate about! 

I did write a mini biography about Jane Austen back in the summer, and I did think about doing one for the Brontes but I would have so much information and I just wouldn't know where to start. I think it would turn into my longest post yet and no-one would read the whole thing!

I want to use this space kind of like an online journal to document what's going on and the ideas that I'm having. I mentioned in my last random ramble that I was loving writing these kinds of posts and I really am! It's so freeing, but I sometimes feel like you won't want to read it because I don't talk about books so much! Although, I couldn't refrain from still talking about books...

I'm glad I've taken the time today to appreciate nature and write a post about it. I hope you are all doing well and I encourage you to take some time for yourself, on your own, to read or watch the world go by outside. It doesn't have to be for very long but it is still a really positive thing to do and I've definitely learnt that today. 



What are your favourite things to do alone? What are you currently reading? What do you think of this style of post? Have you read any Emily Bronte? What do you think of her?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments