YA Book Review: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

 hi Everyone! 

I seem to have so many posts ready to go but I just can't help myself writing another! This post was written when I finished the book in December but kept getting pushed back due to posts that had to go out at a certain time! 

At the end of last year, I read The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, which is quite a famous YA book! It is also a bit older, first published in 1999 and made into a film in 2012. It is American so I didn't get all the references, especially to Thanksgiving and things like that but overall it was a really enjoyable read.

This is an epistolary coming of age tale about Charlie, who writes letters to a stranger not wanting a response only someone to talk to who will listen. In an overwhelming world of unrequited love, nights out with friends and feeling endless, he tries to find his way. 

Entertaining, relatable and believable: this book was great. It explores growing up in a unique way from a truly wonderful perspective with a beautiful and distinctive voice. I felt like each word came right out of Charlie's mouth, and never did Chbosky stop making me believe in his story which I think was just remarkable, especially as it is written in letters.

I enjoy the idea of being a wallflower too, and the way it was used in the novel was definitely appreciated. I think at secondary school especially, there are a lot of so called wallflowers, just the people who don't take part and those who spend their lunchtimes alone watching everyone whilst they do their homework or read a book. Although I am not one of these people, I could relate to the feelings of wanting experiences but not always liking them and not being popular.

It was eye-opening to see what teenage life was like in the late 90s and early 2000s as this is so different to my modern day experience. However, I could see a few rather disturbing similarities!

 There are a few trigger warnings so I encourage you to check them out as well if you are thinking of reading it. 


Happy Reading! 📚


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


Comments

  1. Great review! This is one of our favorite YA books of all time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see why so many people love it!

      Delete

Post a Comment