Skullduggery Pleasant: an interesting read

Hello everyone,

This is not a book I loved at all. If you have been following this blog for a while, you will know I am starting to read more classics but I also read YA books. I try to vary what I read but generally, fantasy isn't for me. However, one of my friends loves Skullduggery Pleasant so she lent it to me and thought I would give it a go. As I said, I wasn't expecting to love it. I can definately see the attraction for fans of the genre so I am still recommending it. 

The problem I have with fantasy is that to me all the storylines are similar: good guy wants to beat bad guy or a curse will fall upon a mysterious land and through a series of gruesome battles, good guy wins and peace is restored on the magical world. This isn't to say they are all like this but it is certainly a trend and Skullduggery Pleasant follows this pattern.

The main character is Stephanie who's uncle dies and at his funeral, meets a mysterious person. By a series of events that follow, Stephanie embarks on an adventure full of friendships, betrayal, battles and quite a bit of magic...

I don't know what else to say as I didn't love it. For some reason I prefer French fantasy novels such as La Quete D'Ewilan. I gave Skullduggery Pleasant three stars on Goodreads. It is very clear that my friend and I have very different reading tastes!




Comments