Book Review | Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Hi Everyone!

Where do I even start with this book? I've been meaning to read it FOREVER, and I can't believe I finally got to it! One of my friends loves it and had been pestering me to read it for ages, and I'm SO SO glad I finally did. I'm very late to the hype around this one, but better late than never, right?

I also read this while watching Young Royals on Netflix, and the two just go so perfectly hand in hand and wow it was an experience! You can read more about my opinion of the show here!





Synopsis: 

First Son Alex Claremont-Diaz is the closest thing to a prince this side of the Atlantic. With his intrepid sister and the Veep’s genius granddaughter, they’re the White House Trio, a beautiful millennial marketing strategy for his mother, President Ellen Claremont. International socialite duties do have downsides—namely, when photos of a confrontation with his longtime nemesis Prince Henry at a royal wedding leak to the tabloids and threaten American/British relations. The plan for damage control: staging a fake friendship between the First Son and the Prince.

As President Claremont kicks off her reelection bid, Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret relationship with Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations. What is worth the sacrifice? How do you do all the good you can do? And, most importantly, how will history remember you?

These characters are the sweetest people EVER. From the sibling relationships to the mother-son relationships and the friendships, these characters have so much to offer. Alex and Henry are very well-rounded characters and feel very realistic and believable. 

I love the enemies to lovers trope in Red, White and Royal Blue and Casey McQuiston's writing is incredible. It's such an easy and comforting read and one I can't wait to return to.

At the time I read this book, I was in a bit of a reading slump. I hadn't finished a book in weeks and sometimes the world is a scary place. This book is the biggest escape from reality, into one which is far from perfect, but at least has the relative promise of a happy ending, and appears to have very different problems to the world that we inhabit, especially considering it is set in 2020, and no-one could have predicted what happened. 

(I am actually writing this as I am in isolation because I once again have the dreaded virus, which is sort of ironic!!)

I just loved this entire story. The pacing was spot on and it got very addictive, not going to lie! It's one of those books that you just want to binge read!

It gets a little steamy in places (one review of it I read said it really had to go in the fridge!!) but Alex and Henry have a real emotional connection and are really open and honest in their relationship. 

THE EMAILS. THE EMAILS. I don't think I've ever laughed and cried so much in single (fictional) emails before. From the snippets of historic letters to the way that their fears are laid bare....these emails are priceless



I also feel like this book does what Young Royals never did for me, and I don't want to spoil anything but something is revealed in a way which I wish it was in Young Royals (though maybe it will be in season 3!). 

I did read this and watch Young Royals at the same time, which was quite strange but so beautiful because as I mentioned above they are very similar. Alex and Henry's romance is so heart-warming but also heart-breaking and I think that's what I love about it so much. It's a book you can get lost in and a story you never want to leave. 

I truly do understand the hype around this book. It's truly a fantastic read, but it does have a few minor issues, which are more a matter of personal opinion and which I don't think (for me) affected the reading experience. 

It's been a whirlwind journey with Alex and Henry and I can't wait to reread this book many, many times in the future! 


Around The Blogosphere: 

- Talia gives her thoughts - click here!

- Drizzle and Hurricane Books shares a mini review - click here!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, I can't express how much I appreciate each and every one of you so thank you so much for being here and supporting me. Let me know in the comments what you've been reading and if you've read this one. Happy reading!


Have you read this book? Do you want to? What are you currently reading? Any recommendations for me?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I just hit 500 comments on my blog!! I know it's not that much, especially considering the fact that half of them are me replying to comments, but seeing as I started the year on vERY few comments, I feel so proud and thankful for this community so thank you so so much to anyone who's ever taken a few minutes to write me a comment. I truly can't express how much it means when you tell me you've read a book because of me, or that you have added a book to your TBR that I recommend! Or when you just give me your thoughts and opinions....I love this space more than I can express so THANK YOU.

Comments

  1. Hey it's ur buddie Georgie here!! Congrats on reaching 500 comments!! I'm so glad u loved RWRB just as much as I did next time we meet up we HAVE to talk abt this more (especially the emails). Love u Z xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww hiiiii :) Thanks so much for commenting!! Thank youuuuu! YES WE WILL HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT NEXT TIME WE MEET UP!! the emails are something else honestly!! Thank you so much for reading ahh we really need to meet up soon!! xxxx

      Delete

Post a Comment