Heartstopper Netflix Show Review | graphic novel fan watches netflix show

Hi Everyone!

If you've been following me for a while, you probably know that I have read and fallen in love with the Heartstopper graphic novels. In fact, I have an entire shelf on my bookshelf dedicated to it. I have a Heartstopper bookmark, mini Heartstopper books, Heartstopper leaves going up and around the shelf and even a Heartstopper shoe which I made in my art class! Some even say I'm a little obsessed. 

yes, i did buy the tv show edition of the first volume, even if I already had it.



But what do I think of the TV show? 

In short: I LOVE IT.

But let's actually talk about it!

I did a post talking about how I was excited for the show and to celebrate it's release back in April, which you can read here!

The fact that Alice Oseman was so involved in the production made me confident that it would be faithful to the graphic novels. She announced the actors and I think they are absolutely perfect. They look right for the parts and their acting skills are practically flawless. 

My favourite character from the graphic novels is Darcy, and that didn't change in the show. Kizzie Edgell who plays Darcy, portrays her absolutely incredibly and they seem like such a lovely person too! My favourite scene from the whole show is the party scene from episode 3 with Tara and Darcy. It's so well done and symbolizes so much in Nick's journey and to me represents the show perfectly. 

The character of Aled in the graphic novels, is represented by Isaac in the show. This is because Aled already has his own story in Radio Silence and it would have been very hard for Alice Oseman to make sure all the stories align. Although this is a shame, I do really like Isaac as a character and I can't wait to see more of him in Season 2!




This show has been such a huge success that even the more popular kids at school love it and the fact that I discovered it before everyone else including them is quite funny! So many people love this show and it's resonated with so many people in so many different ways.

I have now watched the series three times all the way through but I also watch videos on YouTube with screen packs and extracts. I listen to the soundtrack on repeat because all the songs are so perfect! I did once binge the series until 1am with two of my closest friends, which was a beautiful and magical experience. 

The details included from the graphic novels such as the animated leaves and sparks was a detail that I can't even tell you how much I appreciated. I felt it stayed very true to the books and adding these details were just the small reminder of the original graphic novels that I craved. 



Overall, I couldn't be happier with the show and how authentic it feels and I can't wait to watch it many more times. 

Definitely let me know if you've watched this show or even better read the graphic novels or if you want to. Also I would love to know your thoughts on the best/worst book-TV show or movie adaptations and what makes them good or bad! 

Thank you so much for being here and I hope you are all well. 



Have you read Heartstopper? Do you want to? Have you watched the show? What are your thoughts on books - movies or TV shows?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I had a great evening at the sailing center, which was way out of my comfort zone but I'm so glad I went and there were many casual magic moments which I think I'll keep to myself, but the evening as a whole was just very enjoyable! 

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to watch this! I'll have to move it up on my queue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do it's really worth it!! It's such a special show. I would love to know your thoughts when you do watch it so please let me know!!

      Delete

Post a Comment