Classic Short Story Review: How Much Land Does A Man Need? and What Men Live By //my first tolstoy

 Hi Everyone! 

I wanted a shorter book to read as I was about to get another Carnegie book so I chose How Much Land Does A Man Need? by Leo Tolstoy! I have been following the Dickens Vs Tolstoy debate on Booktube but I haven't read any of the Tolstoy books yet. So as an introduction to his work, I thought I would read this. 

It is in the Penguin Little Black Classics series which I have read a few things from before such as Lady Susan by Jane Austen and Only Dull People Are Brilliant At Breakfast by Oscar Wilde. They are a great way to introduce yourself to an authors work or read something a little less famous! 

How Much Land Does A Man Need? is a short story with a real message and as it is a short story I won't share much information as it's best to go into it pretty blind! With that being said, I think you can imagine what it's about from the title: a man who wants more and more land! James Joyce said that it is "the greatest story that the literature of the world knows" and while I don't 100% agree with it being the absolute best, I love it a lot, it's genius and I can't wait to reread this many, many times!

The second short story in this book is What Men Live By, which again packed a punch and had a clear message, even if it is more religious! 

This was such a good introduction to Leo Tolstoy and one day, I will read one of his larger novels! For now though, I think I may read Childhood, Boyhood, Youth because it is a bit shorter and is his first novel. I don't own it yet but I will hopefully soon.

I highly recommend this for a great place to start with Tolstoy's books, it really wasn't daunting and it's only 50 pages that are small anyway!

Happy Reading!

Comments