[ARC] Book Review: HappyHead by Josh Silver

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to another little book review, this time of HappyHead by Josh Silver. I requested this one on a whim but I'm actually so glad that I did, it really surprised me! 

Thank you so much to the publisher, Oneworld Publications, Rock The Boat and the author for granting me free and advanced access to this book. This has not influenced my thoughts in any way and all opinions are my own.




Synopsis:

We are in an epidemic. An epidemic of unhappiness. 


Friends, here is the good news: HappyHead has the answer.



 When Seb is offered a place on a radical retreat designed to solve the national crisis of teenage unhappiness, he is determined to change how people see him and make his parents proud. But as he finds himself drawn to the enigmatic Finn, Seb starts to question the true nature of the challenges they must undergo. The deeper into the programme the boys get, the more disturbing the assessments become, until it’s clear there may be no escape...

Firstly, the ending. I know I'm not supposed to start by talking about my thoughts on the ending, but here this seems necessary. I got to 92% and still I couldn't see what would happen. I was on edge throughout the whole of the last 20% and the ending just left it on the biggest cliffhanger. The amount of twists was not something I was expecting, and I just could not put this down, so I actually read it in only a couple sittings.

I always seem to talk about how much I loved the characters in book reviews, and this is no exception. Seb and Finn reminded me so much of Simon and Baz from the Carry On series by Rainbow Rowell, especially Finn and Baz, in all their vampire vibe, rebellious glory. I loved Finn especially and I think that Seb was such an interesting narrator too.

Something that I would like to say, however, it that I found some of it a little too convenient. How some things just fall into place and they know exactly what they are supposed to do. It wasn't all of the time, but there were a few scenes where I also felt that the author didn't really know how to write them getting past, for example, an armed guard, and so just made the narrator pass out and magically appear inside. 

The premise was so exciting to me, and I really enjoyed my time inside the messed up world of HappyHead. The reasons behind the situation the characters find themselves in was very well crafted, and the pacing was spot on, especially in the second half. I did enjoy the second half more than the first, just because that's where most of the action happens!

The assessments were SO twisted and messed up and honestly the whole book was a little scary but so gripping and I just didn't know what to believe throughout!!

The supporting characters were also very well thought out, but I would have liked to see more of Ash, because I think there is real potential in her character.

The romance element was filled with tension and memories and secrets, but also didn't form a huge part of the plot, which I think was so important the balance between the two was perfect in my opinion (even if I was craving more romance and for them to just KISS ALREADY).

Overall, this was a very unexpected but fantastic read, which I can't wait to see in shops and for more people to get the opportunity to pick it up! 

Around The Blogosphere: 

- Kelly's Rambles shares her review click here!

- Queensland Reviewers Collective shares thoughts (be aware of spoilers in this review) click here!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, and I hope some of you will pick this one up. I hope you are all well and I will be back very soon with a bit of a different post, so stay tuned for that! Happy reading!


Have you read this book? Do you want to? What do you think of it from my thoughts and the synopsis? What are you currently reading?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I had a chemistry assessment yesterday, and although I love chemistry, revising for this topic was A LOT and I just felt this overwhelming sense of relief at having it all done and not needing to think about it again (well, until I get the results!!). But there is SUCH a nice feeling in thinking that I can't do anything to change the result now and it's all done. 


Also, I had a very short week due to the strikes and I have an Inset day, and it's just nice to have more time at home and time to catch up on things I've been meaning to do for ages!

Comments

Post a Comment