A Tale Of Magic by Chris Colfer // middle grade book review

Hi Everyone!

I recently read A Tale Of Magic by Chris Colfer. It was lent to me by a young friend who loves it and wanted me to read it. I feel slightly guilty because it did take me almost an entire year to get to it, but I have now read it, and I can't wait to share my thoughts with you all. 

I don't read much middle grade, but I've been craving some fun easy reads, and this was perfect! The author is also an actor in one of my favourite TV shows, Glee, so it was very cool to read a book written by him!




Synopsis:
Fourteen-year-old Brystal Evergreen has always known she was destined for great things--that is, if she can survive the oppressive Southern Kingdom. Her only escape are books, but since it's illegal for women to read in her country, she has to find creative ways of acquiring them. Working as a maid at her local library gives her the perfect excuse to be near them and allows her to sneak a few titles home when no one is looking. But one day Brystal uncovers a secret section of the library and finds a book about magic that changes her life forever.

Magic is despised and outlawed throughout the world--Brystal is well aware of the severe consequences the book may bring--but her curiosity gets the best of her. By reading some of the text aloud, strange phenomena begin to occur and Brystal discovers she is capable of magic! And the more she practices it, the harder it becomes to hide.

After being caught and convicted, Brystal is saved by a mysterious woman named Madame Weatherberry. The woman takes Brystal to her Academy of Magic and teaches her to become a fairy. While Brystal studies magic and befriends the other students, Madame Weatherberry is suddenly called away on suspicious matters. When she doesn't return, Brystal and her friends work together to find and save their instructor. Along the way, the students discover Madame Weatherberry's true intentions for the academy are not what they seem, and they come face to face with a sinister plot that puts the fate of the world, and the fate of magic itself, in grave danger...


My Thoughts:

What a whirlwind adventure this book is! The storyline is so gripping and I cared so much about the characters. The whole idea behind this book is AMAZING and sometimes it just feel so good to read something with a little (or in this case a lot) of magic in. 

The main character, Brystal, was an absolutely fantastic person to follow. She is confident, but also discovering her own magical ability. She becomes such a strong leader and goes on such a journey from the moment we first meet her. 

There is a plot twist towards the end which I loved, but also sort of hated, but only because of the character it affected! I just wanted them all to be happy!

The general ending of this book, though, is just SO PERFECT. It really ties in all the aspects of the book and brings it together so nicely. I love it when books do this and end on a really sweet and positive scene, leaving you to imagine a bright future for all the characters. However, in YA this isn't always the case so it was refreshing to read something so happy

Madame Weatherberry is such an incredible character, and at this point I don't want to say much more than that! I like how we don't know much about her, but discover it as Brystal does. 

I feel like there is so much and so many situations that you could apply to this book. You could imagine that the magical community represents the black community or the LGBTQ+ community, or pretty much anything. I liked trying to find a deeper meaning and looking for hidden messages. 

At the end of the day, this is a book about acceptance. Acceptance of who you are, of your strengths and weaknesses, and of the situation you are in. I love that so much. 

This is the perfect read for anyone looking for a light-hearted but immersive, fun, magical middle grade adventure!


Around The Blogosphere: 

- The Power Of Books: A Review Of A Tale Of Magic (from betterreading) - click here!

-- I found it very hard to find blogger who talk about this book. If you know of any then please let me know! 


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post and for all of your support towards my blog. I truly hope that as many of you as possible read this book and are transported as I was into A Tale Of Magic. Happy reading!


Have you read this book? Do you want to? Does it sound like something you'd enjoy? Do you read much middle grade?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

There was such a pretty rainbow and stunning light when I walked home today with my friend and it just made me smile. Sometimes it's the little things that count for more. What's your casual magic for today?

Comments

  1. I don't read many middle grade books either, but this one sounds good and I do like a bit of a break from the heavier adult books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle grade was never a genre I have been into, but yes this was a great break and such a fun read!

      Delete

Post a Comment